Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Key Issue-- Help!

I'm having a serious problem with my beloved 2001 Forester. I have seen other groups mention issues with having key copies made for Subarus in general, but my issue is entirely different.

A few weeks ago, I got my key into the ignition, but it wouldn't turn. (Even after doing the "steering wheel unlock" thing that all cars have.) I also couldn't get it out. After fiddling with it for a few minutes, it finally came out cleanly. (I have the factory original key.) I put it back in a few minutes later, and it went in normally, turned normally and came out again normally at the end of the drive.

Then last week, I put our copied key in the ignition, and not only won't it turn, but it won't come out *at all*. No matter what I do.

My original thought was that I had somehow bent my key, but since the copy doesn't work either, I'm beginning to think that the problem is in the lock mechanism itself.

Is this a common problem with Subarus?

I don't know whether to call a locksmith, a Subaru dealer, or Harry Potter. If I find that calling the dealer is my only option, I'd like to know if this is a common problem so that I have a bit of leverage with them.

Anyone have any suggestions? What it could be, who I should call, what my next step is? It would help if I could actually *drive* this car that I adore so much!

I'm having a serious problem with my beloved 2001 Forester. I have seen other groups mention issues with having key copies made for Subarus in general, but my issue is entirely different.

A few weeks ago, I got my key into the ignition, but it wouldn't turn. (Even after doing the "steering wheel unlock" thing that all cars have.) I also couldn't get it out. After fiddling with it for a few minutes, it finally came out cleanly. (I have the factory original key.) I put it back in a few minutes later, and it went in normally, turned normally and came out again normally at the end of the drive.

Then last week, I put our copied key in the ignition, and not only won't it turn, but it won't come out *at all*. No matter what I do.

My original thought was that I had somehow bent my key, but since the copy doesn't work either, I'm beginning to think that the problem is in the lock mechanism itself.

Is this a common problem with Subarus?

I don't know whether to call a locksmith, a Subaru dealer, or Harry Potter. If I find that calling the dealer is my only option, I'd like to know if this is a common problem so that I have a bit of leverage with them.

Anyone have any suggestions? What it could be, who I should call, what my next step is? It would help if I could actually *drive* this car that I adore so much!

You need a locksmith for this. let him diagnose it first as a key problem, and also let him make a key. SUbaru dealers arent all that great key makers, and have as much training as a home depot key maker. ALso a locksmith will kepp trying to make the key untill he gets it right, where subaru will sell you an gnition lock.

What is this steering wheel unlock thing you speak of.

nipper

Shy,

This ia a bit convoluted but please bare with me.

I have a 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS (same platform as your Forester, I have had two of them)

I lent the car to my sister for a winter driver, her husband worked at the time at Kunkles Subaru in Delmont.

He went to move it one day and the same thing happened - factory key in - no turn.

He did the steering wheel jiggle like you did, no joy.

Called me and told me the sad story as getting a service tech to his place was not going to happen.

I used a small pair of vise grips clamped to the key and gently (operative word)

tapped the vise grips on alternating sides. A few gentle taps and it came out.

He had Kunkles make a new key from the number not the key and it has worked fine since.

Good luck hope this helps.

BTW I live 10 miles north of Latrobe.

Is it an auto or manual?

with my auto, the little pin the pushes the 'parking position switch' fell out, when that switch is opened, it lets you take the key out, if it's closed you can't get the key out. (if you can shift w/o pushing the button, this is your problem)

SO, what you do, take out the center consoul stuff, get down to where the shifter is, and look in, and you'll see a noched out thing, where the pin slides.., keeps it from going into 2nd, or reverse, etc, without pushing that button. So what you do, is grab the pin (about 1.5" long, maybe 1/8" dia), it will be trying to fall down into the carpet or something bad like that, then what you're going to want to do is figure out what position it fits in the shifter best (It's got some triangleage to it) and then pull it out, slap some super glue on it, shove it back in, and then re-assemble your car. I did it w/o the super glue the 1st time.. and it vibrated itself out again. It's pretty greasy in there, so you might have to clean it up a little to get the glue to stick.