Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza whistle??? Stumped

Ok...another issue!

My 95 Impreza 2.2 AWD /4EAT, 82K has this whistle/squeal that starts from under the right side front of the car. It starts ONLY after warming up. It varies slightly with speed, but does not change tone, or texture with increase/decrease in mph. (Except that it STOPS completely when speed slows to 15 mph. It also STARTS at 15 mph!) It will make the same noise with the engine off and rolling faster than 15 mph.

I can hear it louder when I crack open the door when moving. It's coming from under the center of the car I think.

It's NOT anything in the engine compartment. It's NOT the speedo cable either, (unless its the gear Inside the trans.)

What could whistle squeal that way in the drivetrain? It's not loud, but it is noticable and again ONLY after warmimg up.

I placed the car on jack stands and could not replicate it. I can't crawl under the car going down the road, to see what it is....darn!

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Todd

Okay, now I think you're just toying with us ;) .

The only thing I can think of that wouldn't change pitch with road speed, gear, etc., is something resonating due to air rushing past it, perhaps related to the exhaust system. Does it consistently "switch" on/off at 15 MPH if you let the car roll down a hill with the engine off ;) ? (I'm only half kidding about that.)

• 2 months later...

Turn up the radio?

its going to be a vacume leak of some kind. At 15mph ist not fats enough to be a wind noise. Are you sure its a whistle and not more metalic? is it speed dependent or rpm dependent? what happens if you pop the car in neutral at speed, does it change at all? WHere is your antenna located? any aftermarket lights or body dodads on the car?

nipper

Turn up the radio?

its going to be a vacume leak of some kind. At 15mph ist not fats enough to be a wind noise. Are you sure its a whistle and not more metalic? is it speed dependent or rpm dependent? what happens if you pop the car in neutral at speed, does it change at all? WHere is your antenna located? any aftermarket lights or body dodads on the car?

nipper

I'm not sure if it's metallic or not. But if it was would it not "wear" and stop after 2000 miles? It is speed dependent, not RPM dependent. Neutral changes nothing. Engine off changes nothing. Antenna is on left A pillar. Completely stock car, lights included. It is heat dependent. It starts after about 15 minutes of driving.

I have noticed that a hard turns above 15-20 mph quiets it for a second! Hmm.

Todd