Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Subaru Legacy Outback Problems

First time Subaru Buyer, and all kinds of problems. Has anyone else experienced the same?

- Engine races spontaneously even after warmed up. Revs from idle just under 1K to nearly 3K, then settles back down. Dealer has already identified possible temperature sensor problem, has ordered replacement.

- Overall throttle response sluggish. When gas pedal released, engine takes time to respond and settle down. Extremely annoying w/manual transmission, as clutch/gas release feel disconnected. Dealer says throttle is electronic, not mechanical connection. Obviously, sensitivity settting way off. I suspect with Automatic Transmission this may not be an issue.

- Right foot gets cold on long trip. When heater control knob set to floor heat only, heat still flows freely out of dash vents. Very difficult to regulate, and get the majority of heat to the floor, as per the setting. Typically, too much cabin heat builds up before feet get warm and needs to be turned down.

- Trip Clock never worked from day one. Dealer has ordered new one.

- Brakes pads stick if brakes are applied hard and ABS braking action kicks-in, later after vehicle is has been parked, pads stick and break free with loud pop when vehicle moves again.

Would like to hear if anyone with new purchase has similar problems.

nope. exactly the opposite in fact. 2005 xt limited obw purchased in november last year...zero defects or complaints so far. switched to mobil 1 "oil" at 3500 miles. been to vermont on a couple road trips since then. i really love this car! it's my first new car as well as my first soob. it goes fast fast fast when i want it to (please reference my avatar lol.) it is total stock and i have no plans to mod anything except a few audio upgrades ie jl cleansweep, ipod dock and satellite radio with a garmin c330 gps. this car is a total sleeper and i love it. lol i already said that. well, anyways good luck. id have to also suggest lemon law if they have that up there. yours must have been built on a friday or a monday. hopefully your stealership will make it all better.

Too many problems for a new car. How many miles? Think Lemon Law if this continues. The details are posted conspicuously at the counter in the Service Desk area in most dealerships. You qualify among other things if they don't fix a problem after a certain number of attempts, and anyway, ask to meet with a regional rep. Discuss that your confidence in their product is seriously undermined. If they don't want to give you a replacement vehicle, casually suggest they give you a complimentary 6 year /100K warranty. That's what I got after all the hassle with my 2000 (long story). A friend received the same after his 05 Turbo kept stranding him with one problem after another. You'll have peace of mind and will also be reimbursed for the inconvenience of being an unpaid member of their Quality Control Department.

Thanks, vehicle has about 1800 mi., going back in shop this week for second round. Dealer has been good, but nothing resolved or fixed yet.

Just an aside, I wish there was a way to deactivate passenger seat belt alarm. The dog and and my sales bag set the thing off. Subaru is taking safety to new limits. I can live with driver side alarm, and I certainly buckle up a lot more these days, but geez, give a guy a break on the other side.

didnt i read somewhere about putting the key in accessory mode, then buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt between 10-20 times? maybe something like that will work on the passenger side. normally, if i have no front seat passengers, i just buckle the belt and then no annoying dinging.

Thanks, vehicle has about 1800 mi., going back in shop this week for second round. Dealer has been good, but nothing resolved or fixed yet.

Just an aside, I wish there was a way to deactivate passenger seat belt alarm. The dog and and my sales bag set the thing off. Subaru is taking safety to new limits. I can live with driver side alarm, and I certainly buckle up a lot more these days, but geez, give a guy a break on the other side.

Search the forum for seatbelt alarm and you will learn how to turn it off. It works for both the passenger and driver.

OK I'll practice my typing tonite.

Put key in ignition and turn on but DO NOT start car. Now buckle and unbuckle the drivers seat belt 15-20 times then leave belt buckled and turn key to off position and remove key.

Now, each time you go to start the car the seat belt chime chimes 5 times and then stops whether or not the driver or passenger belts are buckled.

Remember to Buckle Up though. I'd hate to see your head as a hood ornament on your car.

Sounds like you found one flea then started itching all over. Not supposed to find that much wrong or irritating with a new car.

I got an 06 Outback 3.0R wagon and nothing except the trip clock has been a problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've got a pretty good idea of how long I've been in the car and really don't need something electronic to remind me of that fact. But, I did pay for it and it will be replaced under warranty.

I've got an automatic so I don't see the high idle linger that you are experiencing. Sounds annoying. Brakes work excellent, got about 8k on them. We have the automatic climate control and much milder weather so I don't have any concerns with that system. Overall quality of the car is very high and very pleased with it. I have only owned subes for two years and for the money it has been a great purchase.

Hope your ownership gets better once the dealer gets the kinks worked out.

Most of your list needs attention.

I THINK there is a known issue with the trip clock dealie - try ,as you start your car, hesitaing at each 'click' for half a second. A little more time spent at 'on' or 'acc' postion supposedly allows the trip computer to work correctly.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the heater - almost every car made either roasts your foot or freezes it, seems there is no in between.

Sounds like they didn't upgrade the '06 much.

My '05 is AT and when I step into it the revs don't back off for a second when I let completely off the gas. Revs just kinda "hang" there. Can't stand the sluggish "drive-by-wire" gas pedal; needs a stronger sping.

Pretty sure your owner's manual will diagram the heat flow for "feet" as also coming out the top of the dash on this setting (mine does). I've found it better to turn on the "upper/feet" heat and aim the vents away and down. Still, no way to get good heat to driver's feet; no problem with passengers' feet though.

Next car I buy, I'm taking it for a test drive until the sales person says, "Let's get back to the shop."

Surprised you didn't mention how your knees and back ache after a long drive. Maybe they did change a couple things on the '06.

Juan.

The seats are different in 06. I know because I ordered a Katzkin leather kit and the 06 didn't have the pattern yet.

An automotive upholstery shop can help shape the seat.

My 06 just turned 5,000 miles (bought in December). I've had zero problems. I have an H6 and the rpms don't hang more than any other emission-controlled vehicle we own. The 4 cyl Legacy and Outbacks I test-drove didn't, either, so you have bad luck, apparently.

Sounds like they didn't upgrade the '06 much.

175hp VVT engine

Immobilizer key

17" wheels

Air flitration standard on all models.

Different seats (I'm told)

Some lineup changes, like the reintroduction of the base Outback 3.0R wagon.

- Engine races spontaneously even after warmed up. Revs from idle just under 1K to nearly 3K, then settles back down. Dealer has already identified possible temperature sensor problem, has ordered replacement.

- Overall throttle response sluggish.

i would re-evaluate the throttle reponse after the engine racing/temperature sensor problem is resolved. temp sensors can cause driveability issues like you mentioned.

• 5 months later...

I have a 2006 Outack Limited 2.5i Sedan, with the automatic and I have the hesitation when I take off from a stop, it is not a noticeable any other time. It really dosen't feel like a drive by wire hesitation, ore like it is boging down. If I pump the gas pedal I can get around the problem. The dealer said that there is no problem. K&N just came out with a replacement air filter for the 06, I am going to try that for now. I have 11,000 miles on it and other than that annoyance I love the car.

[...]

- Engine races spontaneously even after warmed up.

It sounds like a sensor issue.

Dealer says throttle is electronic, not mechanical connection. Obviously, sensitivity settting way off. I suspect with Automatic Transmission this may not be an issue.

Yes, the throttle is drive-by-wire.

- Trip Clock never worked from day one. Dealer has ordered new one.

There's a known issue with 2006 trip clocks.

- Brakes pads stick if brakes are applied hard and ABS braking action kicks-in, later after vehicle is has been parked, pads stick and break free with loud pop when vehicle moves again.

The 5MT 2.5i has a hill holder, I believe, and there are reports of mis-adjusted hill holders on later 2006 cars. I saw one of these at an intersection: new 2006 Forester would -not- get moving, and there was a loud 'pop' then he started. You should add "check hill holder adjustment" to your long warranty service list.