Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goodbye old friend, last road trip for the 88 DL

The Subaru that got back me into Subarus after I left so many years ago said goodbye today and got hauled off to the JY. I bought this car a couple years ago, fixed it up and drove it for awhile until I bought the RX. Sold it to my Brother in law, who in turn sold it to my sister in law, and then ended back with me for parts for the lifted Sedan. Today after I finished stripping the remaining parts I wanted and it got hauled off...So in fond memories of the car here is alittle picture memorial:

The Day I bought it:

aug.jpg

After I fixed it up:

lsept.jpg

Sold it, it got beat up, returned to me and now looks like this (with me yanking it out of my driveway with the lifted Roo):

byedl.jpg

Loading on the trailer and saying my good-bye's:

byedl2.jpg

And the final trip for the DL, even if it's on a trailer:

byedl3.jpg

Goodbye little DL you were good to me, and my family. You already are living on in my other Roo's but I will never forget you. May you have a quick ride to Subaru Heaven :burnout:

I felt same way after giving away my 87 DL after 9 years. :(

I cant get over how good of shape your car still appears however....

Mine was bending in half at the home-made rocker sill, pulled to the right badly because of it. header pipes were stripped at the heads, popped like a rally car in between every gear, and differential in front was so stuck the left wheel would spin backwards, if the right one lost traction and odometer claimed 166k for a few years, and fender randomly flapped in the wind. I pulled windshield with "the forever bent unibody" dimples in the corners.. (gave away still running very strong tho...) :burnout: If cars like that are ending up in the junk yard where you are, I'll be leaving Maine to think I found master pieces waiting for a little TLC.:drunk:

I felt same way after giving away my 87 DL after 9 years. :(

I cant get over how good of shape your car still appears however....

Mine was bending in half at the home-made rocker sill, pulled to the right badly because of it. header pipes were stripped at the heads, popped like a rally car in between every gear, and differential in front was so stuck the left wheel would spin backwards, if the right one lost traction and odometer claimed 166k for a few years, and fender randomly flapped in the wind. I pulled windshield with "the forever bent unibody" dimples in the corners.. (gave away still running very strong tho...) :burnout: If cars like that are ending up in the junk yard where you are, I'll be leaving Maine to think I found master pieces waiting for a little TLC.:drunk:

If you want good-looking old soobs, you have to come out west - just got this one for $100. It was about a week from being sold to the junk man for $35. I drove it home from where it sat in the mans yard for 3 years. No rust of course - he broke the ign. switch, and didn't want to bother fixing it:

Img_1199.jpg

I cried for years after learning my first Brat was rusted so bad that it was unsafe to drive. I got a few since then, but they just don't fit my butt like the original... it was like an extension of myself, I never felt safer or more comfortable in any car since. Doesn't stop me from driving them though! :)

This car was not in as good as shape as the pictures look I guess, plus drivers side was the smashed up side. Nothing really left on the car except rolling body/trans/glass/misc junk. And it was a 2wd Auto (worthless piece of junk) , with no paint left on the whole upper portion of the car. Believe me I have a shed and several boxes full of parts from it. Not to mention all the parts that went on the Lifted sedan from it. I just hate seeing any of my cars go...though it does make room for more :headbang: and the wife is happy not to look at it anymore. Plus now I can say all the Subaru's I own (3 of them) all run and drive now :clap:

I used to live in ME, grew up right outside Augusta. I remember when EVERYONE had these Subarus, they were just about the only cars on the road in the snow. The thing that got me into these cars was a friend's 84 GL Wagon with the d/r 4x4, I looked for one forever before I got my first one, an 82 DL 2wd wagon. Hauled that thing from CT to WA, blew the t-case in my truck in Michigan City, IN, coated the little car in nasty gear oil and a piece from the case bounced off the road and smashed the windsheild. I was still able to drive the car into town from the rest stop I parked at, got a t-case from the junkyard, and brought it back. I wound up scrapping the car out six months later due to rust, and a broken oil ring that made it smoke like a locomotive.

I now have an 81 GL hatch with the d/r, and loving it. It's got rust in the rockers, tons of annoying small problems, and a clutch release problem that defies any attempt at fixing, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, maybe a 68-72 F-350 crew cab with a 390 and four speed, with enough gas in it to get me home, but nothing less-

\Well, maybe a 68-72 F-350 crew cab with a 390 and four speed, with enough gas in it to get me home, but nothing less-

We have a 2005 F-350 Lariat diesel, extended cab... Tim says it has everything but lips. Not for nothing, I would still drive my little guys any day :) Just the payments on that sucker would choke a horse! I just turn the radio higher to block the "noises". Works for me :)

I know of a crew cab f-350 from the late 60's with a 460 and, unfortunately, an auto that you could get cheap. It needs a bit of rust repair and some interior work, but it is fairly rare. 100 buck's would take it I bet.

Joke! It's a total rusthole, no point restoing. But I do lust after the engine.

Put that block in your mustang and smoke it!