Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Legacy L

Does anyone know what differences would account for the seemingly vast number of TCU numbers out there. I have a production 7/92 car with a tcu issue and I have been trying to source one and everyone I come across has different numbers labeled on it - I got one today for $15 out of a 3/93 car that had all the same options and transmission buttons, etc... I will try it but haven't been able to find an exact number match for my cars TCU.

now that the car is driving properly, other problems might be more noticeable if that makes sense.

i'd have the transmission fluid changed and install an ATF cooler if you'd like to keep that same transmission in good shape. it's nearing 15 years old, has the ATF ever been changed?

Yes, probably at least one or two full fluid flushes in the last 3 months. When the code started setting and the binding started I replaced the solenoid & clutch pack (housing was in good shape). Then when the problem kept happening I attempted to diag. wiring issues - none found. The sporadic control unit issue was un traceable, but I found the used control unit for $15 and thought I would give it a shot - and it fixed that problem.