Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch issues

when I let out the clutch on my 81 brat its starts to ingage and then it just slips. I assumed that the clutch was just warn out so I bought a kit and replaced the disk, bearings and pressure plate but it still is doing the same thing. Any ideas on what I should look at next?

yeah the clutch cable seems to be in the right spot and I did have the flywheel machined. I tried tightening the cable all the way as well as loosening it all the way and it didnt really seem to have much of an affect on it. When the problem first occured it was accompanied by a buzzing/whirring/rattling noise only when the clutch pedal was released. The pressure plate that I took out had a pretty deep groove from the release bearing.

okay so you were right, its not the clutch at all. I put the car into 4 wheel drive today and it drives just fine but when I slip it back into two wheel drive it just spins. I really wish I would have tried this before I replaced the clutch but I am new to this game and hindsight is 20/20. Im just stoked that I put the clutch in right. Any ideas on exactly what the problem is and what my next step should be?

okay so you were right, its not the clutch at all. I put the car into 4 wheel drive today and it drives just fine but when I slip it back into two wheel drive it just spins. I really wish I would have tried this before I replaced the clutch but I am new to this game and hindsight is 20/20. Im just stoked that I put the clutch in right. Any ideas on exactly what the problem is and what my next step should be?
You could have a front axle spline wearing out

You typed

"I had the car off the ground and turned the front axel by hand only the passenger side wheel would turn even though both axels turned. Is this normal or could that be part of the problem."

If this is the case it looks like the splines that connect

the driver's side axle to the hub (part that drives the wheel)

are stripped.

Here is a test, have the hood open, engine running, 2wd.

Stand beside the car on the driver's side and look at the axle.

Have a mate engage first gear and let out the clutch.

IF the axle turns and the car does not move, you will need a hub and an axle as the spinning has probably knackered both.

Hope this helps, good luck

Yup, I would bet money that Skip is right (as usual;) ). I had the same thing happen on a friend's 88. I replaced the clutch, thinking it was toast, but the car would only go in 4wd. Turns out, the splines in the left front hub were totally gone.

Take a long, hard look at the axle as well as the hub, as both may be damaged.

unfortunatly I dont have a parts car. Hey Im pretty sure I went through waimana on my way to go hike in the urewera's. cool area for sure
Wow, small world huh!

Do you frequent NZ?

If you are ever in Waimana again, look out for the beige gen one brat and silver xt, The only ones in the district!

Good luck with the hub it seems!

yep you guys are right. I pulled the hub off and it was ground completly smooth on the inside. Thanks for the help. What hubs would be compatible. The local junkyard said that they had a couple of 81 subarus. Are the hubs generic enough that this would work?

Brandon