Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an '05 Outback 2.5i wagon with auto. It has under 9,000 miles on it. Got an email from the dealer that I should have the tires rotated at next oil change. Seems a little soon to me.

How often do you rotate your tires with an AWD system?

Same side, front to rear. I do it every other oil change (9,000 to 10,000 miles) or as needed by wear. I check my air pressure about two times a week and inspect tires for wear at the same time.

The rotation instructions should be in that nice new owners manual:)

NTB will give you a little gage to measure tread depth, or you can buy one for a buck or two.

Treadwear is really the determinant, not dealer service solicitations. The Bridgestone RE92's have a much lower treadwear grade than some of the Michelin All Seasons that used to come on the car, so the fronts (usually) may wear faster. I've gone as much as 15,000 between rotations with Michelin HydroEdge. But they are still showing 7/32nds trad or more after 51,000 miles.

I have an '05 Outback 2.5i wagon with auto. It has under 9,000 miles on it. Got an email from the dealer that I should have the tires rotated at next oil change. Seems a little soon to me.

How often do you rotate your tires with an AWD system?

i do it once a year in the spring

nipper

Switching sides used to cause problems in the bias ply days, not an issue anymore, unless your tires are directional.

At the ford dealership we reccomend a rotate every 10k, or every other oil change, its cheap insurance, and you get a close look at your brakes, which is also a good item to keep tabs on.

'05 owner's warranty maintanance schedule clearly calls for tire rotation to be performed at each scheduled oil change.

Don't pay for tire rotation. There are tire shops in town that will do it for free just to get you in there the next time you're looking for new tread.

Tires are expensive and "free" is a very good price for a tire rotation.

Juan

Just make sure they don't do this free tire rotation without asking.

I was chaning oil this winter and as I was paying and preparing to leave the guy tells me "I forgot to tell you - we have rotated your tires, it's a free promotion". So I looked at them - and what do I see - my directional winter tires are all facing the wrong way :mad:

Stupid idiots, there is an arrow on the sidewall showing rotation direction.

Just make sure they don't do this free tire rotation without asking.

I was chaning oil this winter and as I was paying and preparing to leave the guy tells me "I forgot to tell you - we have rotated your tires, it's a free promotion". So I looked at them - and what do I see - my directional winter tires are all facing the wrong way :mad:

Stupid idiots, there is an arrow on the sidewall showing rotation direction.

Good point. I guess "free" means you sometimes get what you pay for.

Juan

Switching sides used to cause problems in the bias ply days, not an issue anymore, unless your tires are directional.

Or if they're studded.

Remember to rotate the spare through too, if it's part of a matched set of five. I try to do it every 10k or so.

you guys are nuts.

3K miles is THE BEST way to get the max life out of tires on a daily driver

Esta loco? El tiemp es dinero.

If I were interested in getting the max life out of my tires I'd rotate them each night when I return home from work; ain't gonna happen.

I'd rather pay for a new set of tires sooner than later if it means I don't have to rotate them hourly.

Juan