What else can I take off a parts car?

Guest unix

'92 Loyale SW.

Thus far I got:

EA82 (of course)

Alternator

distributor

starter

AC compressor (might just keep it, not install it)

Speedo

All the nuts and bolts I got in the process of engine removal.

One full size wheel substituting the spare

Exhaust - the entire thing from exhaust flanges to the muffler, including the catalytic converter

I can't keep this car for some future repairs I need to remove as much as possible now.

What about gas shocks, do I need those? My car has 180K miles on it, the parts car only 90K.

Guest Wagon Wagon

You can always do what Paul (moosens) did, and chop the whole car into 3 foot long, 1 foot thick sections and hang it on your garage walls. :rollin:

If you have the storage space I'd say pull everything removable off that car. You never know what you'll need. And if you need cash sometime, you could probably sell some of it.

Problem is, I don't have the storage space. I cannot store anything other than alternator-sized parts. I have to get rid of the rest of it. The rest is available - the interior and the transfer case, tranny (not shifting out of 1st), and so on.

I can part it out or sell it whole. It is in Virginia. (see my post in Market place)

Guest GlCraigGT

get the axles, if you don't have room, make room or hang them from the rafters.

Also get the brake calipers, rotors and hubs

I have 180K on these axles, when should I expect them to wear out?

Is it hard to remove the rotors? The ones I have need to be turned and the garage said it is easier to turn them on the car without "disassembling the front end".

By hubs, you mean the wheels? Why would I have any use for them?

What about the ball joints?

Guest Struculeus

I would also take off the side mirrors, headlight casings, and radio, if they're salvagable. You can sell them for a bit o' dough on E-Bay.

J

Guest WagonsOnly

Don't forget tail lights, side markers, exterior trim and roof rack if there is one. And try to save the carpeting, turn-signal stalk and door handles/window cranks if they're not too badly sun damaged.

I wouldn't bother with the axles if they're original at 180k unless the car was driven very gently.

Just my .02,

Andrew

Guest Snowman

Definitely get the axles if they look good. If you want to make some money, grab any trim pieces interior or exterior that are in good shape and sell them.

The axles look good. But if I remove the axles, how will the car get towed? It wouldn't have any parts pertaining to wheels? Would a junk yard even want it? Or could I sell it for scrap metal?

What about the transfer case? Does that ever wear out? I don't think it is compatible with mine because mine is 2WD and this one is 4WD.