Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I uh, rolled my car the other day 56K

SakoTGrimes

Pretty interesting. My dad was in the front seat and Eli (my brother) in the back. I was going down a slope trying to avoid a big rut that I might have high centered on, and the front left wheel went up on a big mound, causing the rear left tire to go up in the air. We're at like a 40 degree sideways angle now and I'm thinking "Don't roll. Don't roll." as the angle slowly steepens. Despite having uncomprehensible (to mere mortals) mind powers, the old "make the car not roll with your thoughts" trick failed, and the car did roll onto it's side, then it's roof. Just as the car came to be in the exact opposite vertical position as it should be, I saw sparks fall from the engine into the hood scoop (?) I'm saying "Oh my god!" a bunch and Eli's screaming. I got out of the seatbelt (which is kinda hard when your weight is on the latch) and tried to crawl out the window which was already down but I couldn't do it so I just opened the door (didn't think it would open at first) and ran around to the back door to get Eli out. I can't remember if I got to the back door first or my dad or who actually pulled Eli out. It might have been that dad reached back to undo Eli's seatbelt, I opened the door and Eli got himself out. This entire thing happened in about 15 or maybe even 10 seconds, so it's a blur really. So we're all out and we take all the non-flammable gear out of the car to make it lighter for when we have to push it back onto the wheels, as well as the motor oil, carburettor cleaner, starting fluid and firecrackers because, well, it's just a good idea. Me and my dad tried to flip it back over but could hardly budge it. Not 3 minutes later we hear dirt bikes and 4 guys with a GMC Denali show up. They were kind enough to help us flip the car back on the wheels, which was significantally easier with 6 guys than with 2..... go figure. My poor GL suffered: bent roof rack, destroyed "SUBARU" plastic thingy on roof rack, broken off mirror, dents, crushed windshield, inoperative rightside headlight and taillight, front bumper is a few inches lower, destroyed gas door (the pump jockey didn't close it right) and the front of the roof is all smashed up. We suffered: not one damn thing. Not a scratch or bruise on any of us. FnA, man. We wiped up a bunch of oil that spilled onto everything, let the car run for about 20 minutes and headed home enjoying plenty of stares from the commonfolk. I have video from this day, but none of the actual roll.

rolledSub1.jpg

rolledSub2.jpg

unrolledSub1.jpg

The damage:unrolledSub3.jpg

damage1.jpg

damage4.jpg

Anyone who's rolled in a Ru is invited to join my "I've rolled in a Subaru" group on myspace!

wow! glad that no one was hurt! I like that induction scoop ... you make that yourself or was it transplanted from annother vehicle? Also love the push bar, and all things concidered, not too bad for a car that just rolled! :burnout:

i hate to say it but the car looks great! think of it as war wounds... scars are cool.

Glad to here everyone was allright, i had a similar experiece in a ranger.. didnt get hurt until i took off my seatbelt and fell on my head.. you dont really think about that when your hanging upside down..

btw, your car came out alot better then the ranger! congrats..

live to roll another day

rllywgn

Hey Tysn, I thought that was you, I was in the living room, was gonna send a PM "Yeah, I rolled it" but didn't want to blow the story without pics lol

The hood is custom folded sheetmetal on a stock Sub hood frame with air holes cut into it, so the scoop would be funtional if I had a contoured air cleaner to fit against it. (white latex house paint "x Jack Butrigr x" courtesy of my bro) Green paint I think is Duplicolor Cayman Metallic, both done at least 3 owners ago

I was wanting to just cut the entire roof off an 81 parts wagon, but first I'm gonna try pounding the frame back into shape cause I can get a free window for it. Having a silver roof with weld lines would be really cool, though.

And lastly, I got a new chrome mirror for it off the same 79 DL I posted about today (if anyone buys the car they can have it)

(both front axles are new)

Peace out homies:headbang:

i'm confused how it flipped looking at the photo's, the road appears flat? you said "going down a slope trying to avoid a big rut"......i think "trying to avoid the big flat snow covered road 10 feet away" is more accurate. admit it, you were playing around! no better way to learn than testing the limits, glad all is well and even the subaru has a chance of making it through all of this.

Ouch!

That hurts to see your car like that. Good to know no one was hurt.

I think it would be an easy repair. However the windshield area is really strong.

It may take a bit of pounding to get it back into shape.

Dents give your car "character".

Good Luck,

Glenn

That'll buff right out. :lol:

Glad you came through it ok. I've rolled a couple cars in the past, including my '04 WRX. Sort of scary to go through, but it makes for one hell of a story later on.

This is exactly why I play with old Subarus, if you bend or break it, you can easily find another. :D

i'm confused how it flipped looking at the photo's, the road appears flat? you said "going down a slope trying to avoid a big rut"......i think "trying to avoid the big flat snow covered road 10 feet away" is more accurate. admit it, you were playing around! no better way to learn than testing the limits, glad all is well and even the subaru has a chance of making it through all of this.

You got me! Seriously, look at the second picture, it looks like some just put it there. Really though it was the hill on the right where the logs are pointed.

that looks fake, hate to say it man, but it doesnt look bad at all, just "minor flesh wounds" like what was said before, looks like you paid someone to have your car put upside down. id try the pound out body-work idea first, and if that dont work, take him up on his free roof...:brow:

looks cool though, what did dad say..."oh great, good job son, i told you to counter-steer" and then youre like "dad, im 17, i know how to jack up a car" anyone seen christopher tidus.....

~Josh~

• 5 months later...