Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator upgrade?

Is there a higher output alternator available for my 92 Loyale? The 65 amp unit can't keep up with the stereo and accesories.

I watch the voltmeter and see it dropping below 12 volts and it's needed a jump after a high volume music session, on occasion.

-Todd

Drop in a GM alt - you'll need to modify the brackets a bit, but it's not all that hard. Just get the alt, and then work the brackets around till you come up with a solution. That's what I've done - EA81 here tho, so gonna be different.

XT6 alts are close too, so you might be able to get one - I think those are 90 amp. Still not as much as you can get from a good 120 amp GM unit for a caddy.

GD

I was hoping to find a drop in replacement, but if I'll need to modify a different make, I guess that's it.

A 90 amper may cut it.... I'm only running roughly 500 watts (max). I need to dig out the amp manuals and see what they draw at idle.

Thanks,

Todd

The GM swap is all about the mounting - wireing is the same, just a different connector. You can get the GM pigtail either from the junk yard or from a parts counter, and just solder / heat shrink it to the harness and you are golden.

Write ups are good, but since there are so many varieties of EA82 out there - inboard/outboard alternator, and so forth, it's really best just to get one, and start trying to jam it in there. You'll figure out something, and as long as you have an angle grinder and drill bits the rest is just using what god gave you (hopefully).

GD