Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight oddity & "Why I Love Subaru's!"

I've noticed on my Loyale that when I turn off the ignition, the headlights shut off, too. I've never heard/seen this on any other car (most I've known give ya all kinds of audible warnings), but I rather like it. I have no reason to keep the headlights on without the engine turning over... and it keeps me from draining the battery accidently.

Somebody before me had rigged up a set of foglamps, though... the relay, fuses, switch, and wiring are all still in the car (though it's been disconnected. If somebody's been in there, playing around with the electricity, I'm not sure what's standard anymore :brolleye: .

Yeah, it's a cool feature....if you need marker lights when the car's off, thatr' what the switch on top of the steering column is...(or is that only on loyale's??)

I've developed quite a "Day Time Lights" Syndrome because of it,k but that's proven to be more effective in preventing an accident, so it's all good...

Originally posted by StormTrooper

Yeah, it's a cool feature....if you need marker lights when the car's off, thatr' what the switch on top of the steering column is...(or is that only on loyale's??)

I've wondered about that switch... mostly 'cause you can put on the marker lights (I've always called 'em parking light) by twisting the headlight switch one spot. Twisting it two spots gives you headlights & parking lights. Maybe the one on the column provides lighting with the ignition off, and the headlight switch does not? I'll have to see tomorrow...

The switch on the steering column is so you can keep your parking lights on with the ignition off, since the parking lights won't go on with the switch on the turn signal lever and the ignition off. I think it's a rather clever feature, myself: it saves me from my own stupidity.

My present Sube does the same. A 1979 Toyota Crown I once had left the lights on until one of the front doors opened, very cool.

I can't understand why anyone would ever decided that a stupid warning "chime" is a better solution. Just turn the lights off!! The driver needs to make a deliberate move to keep the lights on after leaving the car.

Actually, the Toyota system was even more "intelligent": Engine off, key out, door open = lights off. Engine off, keys out, light switch to off, light switch to on, open door = lights stay on.

The "lights always on" thing is cool.. It was one of the unexpected pleasures I found in my subaru when I first started driving it.. I was spoiled by years of owning Saabs(which also shuts lights off with ignition) and I really didn't expect this with my cheapo soob.. Surprise!

Actually, the Toyota system was even more "intelligent": Engine off, key out, door open = lights off. Engine off, keys out, light switch to off, light switch to on, open door = lights stay on.

Yeah.. My 94 camry does that.. problem is though that if you open the door before you shut the key off, the light stay on and kill the battery.(I make my wife carry jumper cables everywhere now because of this discovery).. Toyota dealer says this is the way it was designed..

Personally, I like the Saab/Soob method better

I personally don't like cars that try to think for me, It just makes for more wiring, and then when I get used to things that think for me, and go to other vehicles that don't, I end up killing the battery etc.

Though it will be cool to have a subaru that will keep up with the jeeps, and still be a (relatively) luxurious modern car inside, with all the little bells and whistles.

I hate the chime, mine had the chime from hell! one of the switces for the doors was broken and it would go off at random.

a coupple of nights I would wake up and hear chiming (coming from the basement) I thought I was getting tinitus! I was starring to halucinate that chime during the day and I would imagine it when I was working on the car! i fixed it though. and only after six months at the loony bin.

I agree too! The chime in my perents van drives me nuts when I forget to turn the headlights off B4 I open the door! :temper:

he he......I'm working on modifying my headlight switch so that the lights go off when I hit the starter!:brow: I already did the cooling fans. :D

The chime is ridiculous. It's either too quiet & useless, or too loud & obnoxious. Always made me think "It's chiming to remind me that the lights are still on, and the ignition's off. I never want the lights on when the ignition's off. Just turn the lights off, fer gawd's sake!"

Guess Subaru was listenin'...

Another minor "I love Subaru's!" event happened tonight... as I pulling out of the parking lot at work, and out on the four-lane to back home, I checked my left mirror for traffic. Didn't help, 'cause the mirror was pointed right back at my window :eek:. Checked my blind spot, then moved over.

I knew I hadn't adjusted the mirrors (got electric mirrors, too :banana:), so I figured somebody had knocked the mirror off as they were parking (I work at a retail store in a popular mall... lots of opportunities for things like that, and Albanier's won't leave a note with insurance contacts, either :argue: ). So I ran down the window, stuck my hand out, grabbed hold of the mirror housing real tight, and pushed it back, expecting it to come off in my hand.

Nope, it didn't :headbang:. Seems the housing itself is mounted on a pivot, which allows it to swing freely.

It's practical things like that which makes me love my Subaru. A little extra effort on the part of the engineers just saved me a bunch of trouble replacing a mirror. :clap: :bday: :clap:

So glad this thread came up. When the lights went off with the ignition on my '84 Brat, I thought I had some wierd electrical gremlin.

There are lots of times I like to have the headlights on for outdoor illumination, without having the car running though. According to the previous posts, there is a switch to activate the marker lights on some models, but is there a way to have the lights on with the motor off if I so desire? (or is that what KC lights are for?)

The chime thing is retarded. Especially in ford vehicles of the early to mid 90's. The ignition switches in these are very touchy, and after only a few thousand miles, you actually have to jiggle it most of the time to get the chime to come on at all. Stop car, shut off, remove key, open door..... nothing. Jiggle the lock, and she'll start chiming away if you have left the keys in it, or left the lights on. Worse than a chime actually, since you know you have one, but it doesn't work all the time. Very annoying.

GD