Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing head gaskets - should I replace bolts?

Having a blown head gasket replaced on a Forester. I talked to my mechanic about it and he told me that he is not going to replace the bolts on the heads based on what the Subaru Dealership told him. Is this ok and correct? Also, he used an OEM gasket kit which is what I wanted but is replacing the water pump and timing belt with NAPA parts which I whinced about but it's a bit late now. These parts ok being NAPA?

thanks

matt

Acording to all the subaru manuals, and the subaru dealerships (many posts include this subject) you re use the bolts. The bolts are steel, the block is aluminum. The block is weaker then the bolts, so they dont stretch. If it was a cast iron block i would say use new ones. If you decide to get them, get them from subaru (very pricey). Too much counterfit crap hardware out there to risk it.

Many have reused the bolts with no problems. The only exception i would make would be if the engine was cooked, then i would replace them.

nipper