Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny cooler question

thinking about adding a tranny cooler to my 88 turbo a/t full time 4wd wagon, after i get a new 2 row radiator + changing the tranny fluid to red line , my question is how heavy duty should it be ? no towing with it either + a good place to buy one ?

I think they only come in 3 sizes, you'll want the small one. It will be more than enough to keep the fluid cool. I've installed many of them on various models of 4X4 trucks, many of which are used to plow snow. That's hard on tranny fluid, heat wise.

When mounting one in a vehicle, I like putting the connection tubes in the downward position. Doing so, will insure that you're filling the entire cooler, and not creating an air pocket in it.

Should be able to find one at your local parts store. Thinking them small ones have 3/8" tube for connection to tranny lines.

They don't come with T-stat.

Best way to install one, is to remove the lines from the radiator and run them to the cooler.

Alternative method, is to install the cooler after the radiator. To do this, you leave supply line going to radiator as is, then you run the return line from the radiator to the cooler then to the tranny. The top line on the radiator, should be the return line.

Fuel line hose will work, length needed depends on where you mount cooler. I do my best to get 2 clamps on each connection to insure that hose won't come off. Also, be sure that hoses are ran so they can't be caught and pulled off.

brand name shouldn't matter on these. advanced auto carries the smallest one in a kit for 30 bucks. contains hose, clamps and tie downs as well.

i don't use the tie downs that go through the radiator, it's annoying. remove the fans, pressing stuff through the radiator and damaging fins. then you have to cut them to remove the radiator. i ziptie the end to the center hood latch support.

bypass the radiator ATF lines completely, no need to use those.