Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How rare are the Gl-10 sedan?

Are the sedans rarer than the wagons. I see more wagons than sedans on here or anware at that. Also I always here about full time 4WD, I think I have selct trac on my 87 sedan because mine is FWD then button to 4WD. Just some clarifacation would be nice.

Thats what I mean, I never see them anywhere. Oh and I know where there is an hatch back turbo. Are they called a Gl-10 also.

Thats actually called a coupe.. hatch is the older body style. The turbo coupes everyone knows the best are the RXs

I looked at buying one quite a while ago. It was like 8 or 9 yrs back. It had quite a few options. It was a turbo with the air ride and full time 4wd and trip computer. But it had steel wheels and hubcaps?? I figure it had been screwed with since it was at a used subie dealer. I passed because I wanted a wagon. But i don't see to many around now.

Did they make ea81 GL10 sedans?

I have an 89 GL-10 Sedan. Full time 4wd with the center diff lock, turbo, air ride(has been swapped with coils), did-dash, trip computer(trip, average speed, outside temp, fuel range, alarm, eta), power windows and locks, A/C, cruise, fold down rear seats, power sun roof, power steering, as well as the 4 wheel disc brakes. I would have to say that this car has every available option offered at the time.

But after having this, I miss my old 86 carbed 3-door, it was much simpler!

i owned one several yrs back.it was a 89 full time 4wd 5spd.stupidly sold it to some girl that i heard turned around and junked it.

if i only had know that she was gonna do that,i wouldn't have sold her the car.i loved the fact that i t was turbo.only problems i had was rust along the bottom seam on the front doors and rust inside the rear wheel wells.oh and man did it TICK!!

wish i had some pics of it.it was grey with blue interior.mine had all the options that frank b's had except for the center diff lock(or i don't remeber it having it)

you have the push button fourwheel drive it uses an actuator to engage the fourwheeldrive.. the actuator is below your spare tire kinda above the trans as i recall

ea81's were available as a GL-10

not every GL-10 had alloys from the factory

rllywgn

GL-10s were available in the following body styles:

Sedan EA81 1983-4

Wagon EA81 1983-4

Coupe EA81 1983-4

Convertible EA81 1983-4

Sedan EA82 1985-9

Wagon EA82 1985-9

Touring (raised roof) Wagon 1989

XT Coupe 1985-87.5

There was never a 3-door with the "GL-10" designation--moderately optioned they were the GL and GL Turbo; loaded they were called the RX. Some "fully loaded" GL 3-doors carry RX VINs. The labels say GL because of the colors available in that year (where the color of the car might not mesh with the availability in the options, Subaru apparently built an RX, put an RX VIN on it, and slapped GL decals on). The whole VIN thing is a little, er, odd...Corky (Dr. RX) is the person to talk to about that.

The Touring Wagon was a wagon with a bump in the roof--no sunroof was available from the factory, the roof was raised about 2 inches aft of the driver, all other GL-10 options were the same.

All EA82 GL-10s (other than a touring wago) will have a sunroof. On sedans and wagons, this is a power sliding affair with a sunshade. On XTs, it's a removable panel that stows in the trunk.

Also, EA82 cars will have a digital dashboard. Most EA81 cars were sold with a flip-up manual sunroof and the first-gen digidash, but I know of one one-owner GL-10 coupe with an analog dash. Not sure if they all came with sunroofs or not in that generation.

The GL-10 will also buy you upgraded, full cloth upholstery, adjustable front headrests (for height and reach in sedans & wagons '85 on up, reach only in XTs), standard air, power windows, door locks, and mirrors; and special decals on most models.

They were offered with optional turbo, 4WD, alloy wheels, etc. The cassette was also a dealer option, even on the GL-10. None of these options were ever standard, to the best of my knowledge, although it seems the bulk of surviving cars have them.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong--I'm only human and could stand to learn from this too. :)

• Like 1

Thats a nice Gl-10 you got yourself there, like the color to. Sigh, I wish mine were that clean, I have rust in alot of areas and if the car wasent so bad I would fi up the body. I was wondering about rareity because if I found anotherone I would buy it because they are nice cars and I don't see much of them.

GL-10s were available in the following body styles:

Sedan EA81 1983-4

Wagon EA81 1983-4

Coupe EA81 1983-4

Convertible EA81 1983-4

Sedan EA82 1985-9

Wagon EA82 1985-9

Touring (raised roof) Wagon 1989

XT Coupe 1985-87.5

I never knew Subaru had made a convertible! I did a Google image search and found one, a black 1983 convertible. So for those who collect really rare Subarus, there's a new object of desire.

I didn't know they were made either...I thought that one was just a custom job...

SWEET!:banana:

It kind of is a custom thing...

The vert was not a factory option. It was a dealer installed promo. there are only a few.. I found one in a yard in Tacoma a few years ago.. IIRC, Richie has it in portland now.

heres my 88 GL-10 sedan ft4wd turbo

PICT2552.jpg

subarugravelback.jpg

has the full cloth interior and such... could use some new seat for sure... paddings all but gone..

rllywgn

Really nice looking car! I had those Subaur fog lights on my gl wagon! I got them off of a justy I think, but I'm pretty sure that whoever put them on the justy got them off of an XT6. They were sweet. IPFs if I am not mistaken. I busted mine off on the beach or something.

they are IPF's, these have been on 6 of my subaru's now... they came with my black 89 rx turbo. you can't find them anywhere, so i cant bear to part with them... i hope nobody jacks my covers...

also my foam spoiler is now a very nice rigid molded in trunk spoiler... i still smell like fiberglass... pics to come soon...

rllywgn