Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition switch

the ignition on my 84 brat went south.I Can't even turn it...

ok backtrack, I was out mudding and the key didn't return to ON from start so it fried my starter:mad: so I take the key out and now I can't even get the key to turn. How do I replace the ignition.I took of the cover but don't really have a clue as far as removal goes. please help. I just bought the BRAT not even 4 days ago.

This is the quick and dirty from what I can remember. It's not too hard to figure out once you see how it's put together. I've been starting my Brat for over a year this way. I've also hear of some guys wiring in toggle switches and push buttons.

Remove the plastic covers from under steering wheel column.

Disassemble key switch and remove. I think it's just two screws.

You also have to make sure that your steering colum lock will not engage if so equiped.

Ingnition switch (electrical) is actually on other side (diver's) of the column. Bring that over to the right (passenger) side of steering column. wires will be long enough

Use a screw driver to start while you get the key tumbler rebuilt. Note: do not turn screwdriver all the way. Keep it just a hair short of going all the way. If you turn all the way (until it stops) you loose the electrical contact and the starter does not engage. You soon get the hang of it.

You have to reassemble the plastic covers under the steering column to keep turn signals working.

To get the tumbler out of the cylinder, there is a little spring lock you have to defeat.

Hope this helps

where is the spring and how do you defeat it?An where can I get the tumbler rebuilt?Can I buy one on ebay?

I'm no locksmith, just a backyard mechanic. I'll define the tumbler as the round center part where the key goes in, and the barrel as the larger metal piece that surrounds it. The tumbler rotates with the key, the barrel stays stationary.

OK, the spring lock runs lenghtwise along the barrel on the side that points towards the pedals. There is a rounded ear on the end of it. If you pull on the ear away from the center (with a small pick or silmilar tool), with the key in the tumbler, then pull while slightly twisting/jiggling the key, the whole tumbler and key should come out.

The ignition switch is on the other side of the steering column. This is held in with the two screws. There is a small metal bar with a paddle on each end that connects the key part (tumbler) to the ignition switch. You'll want to remove and keep this also. I believe this part is also used in locking the steering.

I've heard the tumblers can be rebuilt by a good old fashioned locksmith. This way you can use the original key and have the same key for door locks and ignition. I've just been to busy and lazy to have mine done so I just keep doing the screw driver start method.

I hope this helps,

Tony