Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building my version of the ultimate roof rack...Lets see your roof racks too

I like the fact you building your own rack...oportunity to challenge yourself creativitly and work with the hands! :headbang:

That is a stout rack with 1" pipe.

Not sure if weight is too big of a factor at 42" long but new too building racks for Subaru's myself as just started my first ever.

I am currently building one for my 88dl wagon. I am using 1x1x .065 wall square tubing. I have main frame welded, lots of features still too go it is almost full length 65" of wagon so I am trying to watch every bit of weight I can as it all adds up on such a large roof rack so my idea is always evolving as I put it together. I think I will be about 6" deep as I see yours is...but not that far yet.

I got pictures, but it is of steel all over the floor and parts and pieces so not much help here but I would like too see pic's when your done and total on weight and cost.

Good luck.

I like the fact you building your own rack...oportunity to challenge yourself creativity and work with the hands! :headbang:

That is a stout rack with 1" pipe.

Not sure if weight is too big of a factor at 42" long but new too building racks for Subaru's myself as just started my first ever.

I am currently building one for my 88dl wagon. I am using 1x1x .065 wall square tubing. I have main frame welded, lots of features still too go it is almost full length 65" of wagon so I am trying to watch every bit of weight I can as it all adds up on such a large roof rack so my idea is always evolving as I put it together. I think I will be about 6" deep as I see yours is...but not that far yet.

I got pictures, but it is of steel all over the floor and parts and pieces so not much help here but I would like too see pic's when your done and total on weight and cost.

Good luck.

Well unfortunately the cost is over what I wanted to pay but because I couldn't find anyone else to do the bending I had no price to go by...it's so far almost $200 and that's only for the pipe and bending...I weld so no need for that cost. also everything else I can get at the metal recyclers for cheap. I did the measurements like 10 times before I finally committed to the bending of the 2 hoops...it's a perfect fit. it's going to be mounted to the rain gutters so don't think the weight is going to be too much...and I also have in mind the cargo that will go in the rack.

I guess if push come to shove on the weight I could always sell it and start again but I want to build it myself cause I haven't seen any pre-made that I like. ~~Lucas

here was the begining stages of construction for my current rack.

the roof mounts work for what I use it for(snow boards, bikes ect.) but gutter mounts are probably more secure for heavy loads.

make sure rain water cannot get into your rack it will rust the inside and blow out on the road creating a mess on top of the car.

also regular spray paint does not hold up to road debris and bugs. keep that in mind.

632roof_rack_Small_.jpgshowphoto.php?photo=4786&ppuser=632

the roof mounts work for what I use it for(snow boards, bikes ect.) but gutter mounts are probably more secure for heavy loads.

make sure rain water cannot get into your rack it will rust the inside and blow out on the road creating a mess on top of the car.

also regular spray paint does not hold up to road debris and bugs. keep that in mind........

Rallyruss:

wow.. appreciate the input, I may be making more changes!

good point on the rust....hmmmm.. never thought of that. I don't think I have any openings... hope your not talking about pin holes in the weld.. got a couple of them using stick.... didn't have access to wire feed and suck at .065 wall thickness and stick, but looks o.k.

Gutter mounts? I guess you are talking about support at the outer edge of the roof not the roof mount like yours. I can't imagine I will have that much on the roof that I need to go too the gutters... may have to think about that one. I will have the tire up there when I go too large size (won't fit under hood)... so you think I should go too the gutter? I could always modify that after if the roof mount doesn't hold I guess.

Regular spray paint won't hold up.... hmmm... what do your recommend?

Thanks so much for the input now rather then later.

Love the board.

I got my rack made by a friend in Oregon. He did my front bumper too. He sent it to me raw metal, and i used primer and a can of bedliner to make it last forever.

Here's the rack with its last coat of liner:

finishedrack_004.jpg

And here it is mounted, with lights:

rackwagon_013.jpg

I have alot more pictures of the rack and the bumper too here: http://gallery.usmb.net/album13

-Brian

I got my rack made by a friend in Oregon. He did my front bumper too. He sent it to me raw metal, and i used primer and a can of bedliner to make it last forever.

Here's the rack with its last coat of liner:

finishedrack_004.jpg

-Brian

Really like the design with the rounded front for the tire.:headbang:

rackwagon_015.jpg

This is what I've been trying to figure out...how to make the gutter mounts...great idea! :brow:

I was thinking about powder coating but the bedliner would work good too. ~~Lucas

good point on the rust....hmmmm.. never thought of that. I don't think I have any openings... hope your not talking about pin holes in the weld.. got a couple of them using stick.... didn't have access to wire feed and suck at .065 wall thickness and stick, but looks o.k.

Gutter mounts? I guess you are talking about support at the outer edge of the roof not the roof mount like yours. I can't imagine I will have that much on the roof that I need to go too the gutters... may have to think about that one. I will have the tire up there when I go too large size (won't fit under hood)... so you think I should go too the gutter? I could always modify that after if the roof mount doesn't hold I guess.

Regular spray paint won't hold up.... hmmm... what do your recommend?

Thanks so much for the input now rather then later.

Love the board.

yeah I had multiple rust sources. first was a no brainer. I installed "nutserts" to attach my bike and snowboard attachments. but that made holes that water could get in.

second was the pin hole leaks in the welding. I had two. very tiny. showed up on some corners I did not quite wrap the weld around enough.

now I know how to fix my leaks but getting the water out first will be a pain.

yes the gutter mounts like Junkies has are stronger in my opinion. although my rack has held my 210 lb self on it before. the roof did flex a bit. His fab guy does good work. I coppied his bumper design.

as for paint I would guess powder coating would be the cats pajamas but its not cheap if you dont have your own set up.

bed liner spray is an option as brian has shown. Thats what my front bumper has. I will chip with some abuse but is better than regular rattlecan.