Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Utah canyonlands and stock forester

flem0061

Hello all,

My wife and I are gearing up to do some desert camping in the next few weeks here. I've been out to the Maze District in the Canyonlands before (we took a Jeep). Not that we're considering anything too crazy, but I'm just trying to get a handle on what we might be able to tackle to get to a trailhead. The ranger just laughed when I asked him about taking a forester out there. Anyone have any luck out and about the desert backroads in a stock forester?

We're kind of at a loss of ideas for an extended backpacking trip out there since the Needles filled up and our vehicle may be less than adequate for getting us to the good stuff. I've done the death march through a wasteland for days just to get to the cool stuff - given our time limit we'd prefer to not have to do that.

Any suggestions are welcome!

I've used some guidebooks called Backcountry Adventures that have a good road difficulty rating system.

Here is a link to the Utah volume of these books, looks like it is on backorder at Amazon, so you may want to check other stores (my library had the California books):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1930193122/103-9139961-8570241?v=glance&n=283155

Trails are rated 1-10, 1 is and easy dirt road that any passenger car can usually do. I've done many 3-rated roads in the Forester here in California, and they are difficult, but usually doable without damage. A 4 rated road will likely be impassable to a Forester unless you are willing to do some damage. Keep in mind that road conditions can vary a lot depending on precipitation and how recently any grading was done. I've used both of the California books, and the ratings are consistent, so I'd expect the Utah book to be of similar quality.

Title and Autors from the Amazon listing:

Backcountry Adventures: Utah : The Ultimate Guide to the Utah Backcountry for Anyone With a Sport Utility Vehicle (Backcountry Adventures) (Paperback)

by Peter Massey, Jeanne Wilson

Have you been to the San Rafael Swell? It's just west of Moab. Always occcupied with Subies and mountain bikers. Great scenery and a Forester could do anything in the area. Lots of powersliding and drifting opportunitys:lol:

http://www.ut.blm.gov/sanrafaelswell/objectsofinterest/1700-present.htm

Google for it and see if it's what your looking for?

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--wants to go the the San Rafael

84 GL Mad Max--wouldn't make it there.

01 Forester--been there done that, heading back in shortly.

• 12 years later...

This I know is a super OLD thread, but I'm curious if anyone has any updates on riding out in the San Rafael Swell with their Subaru. We are trying to decide if we should take the Subaru or the jeep. The Subaru would get us out to Utah with a better ride and MPG's, but not sure if there are enough trails to go on in the Swell area.

Any suggestions?