Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 90 Legacy Wagon L Auto

It's full-time 4WD and the tranny went out in it. I put a tranny from a 94 legacy wagon auto. I thought I saw on the rear end of that car 4.11 but I can't remember because I was in that junkyard like 20 times in a week for various things including a rear end that I ended up taking back. Long story.

So I have 4.11 in my rear end. What I was wondering was if the 94 had 3.90? Does anyone happen to know if for some reason they changed the gear ratio? I have the FWD fuse in right now just in case, or until I can find time to take another trip back to the junkyard and take a quick look for myself. But right now I have school and work and stuff so I don't have time.

Oh and also, sometimes with the new tranny, it won't start? Nothing happens, it's as if it's in gear so it disengages the starter. If you put it in neutral it will start up. It only does this once in a while but it's not a very good selling factor (I want to rid myself of this horrible car ASAP). Could it be that I need to adjust the shifter cable because it may be off with the new tranny and partially in reverse? Never had the problem with the old tranny.

OK well I called the Subaru dealer and they told me they have 3 different gear ratios for the automatics. 3.90, 4.11 and 4.44(turbo).

I will go to the junkyard tomorrow and look at the car I took the tranny out of because I think they're different. My rear end is making noises now and it feels as if it's fighting the front diff. That's why I put the FWD fuse in. None of this was happening with the old tranny.

Went to the junkyard today. I checked the car that I got the tranny out of and sure enough it's 3.90 and my car is 4.111. I guess you really shouldn't say anything unless you are sure you know what you're talking about.

The junkyard isn't going to do anything about it. The only thing they'll do it let me bring back my tranny and get another one. What if I had paid for it to be installed instead of having someone else do it? Would they pay for that? That sure as hell should. There's no way in hell I'm taking it back out again and putting another one in. Especially since that was the only decent milage tranny they had. Those bastards shouldn't have told me it was the same ratio if they didn't know for sure. I hate those punks, well mainly just that one guy who's always at the counter. The younger guys are really nice but he's a total wongleflute all the time for no reason. I hope he looses his job.

So I have to buy a rear end with 3.90 ratio. Another $60 bucks wasted so I can sell this POS.

Yeah I already talked to them and the only thing they're willing to do is take the tranny back in exchange for another one that I would have to pull again and install, AGAIN.

Oh well, I guess that just means that from now on, anything I can stick in my tool bag is going in there and not getting paid for. Jerkoffs.