Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey

You guys have been the best source for information and I need some.

I found any ad on Craigslist Vancouver Canada for a 1996 Outback Auto with 96K Miles for 7500 Canadian or 6500 US. It came out of London Ontario. The owner (2nd for the car) has the repair history and claims original paint, no accidents and rust free.

Some critics have claimed that subies have some rust problems. Are there any areas that I should pay particular attention? :headbang:

My 97 OBW had just 2 areas that showed rust by the time it was 6 years old and I traded up to my 02 OBW. The leading edge of the hood developed some rust bubbles, in the section between the headlights. Obviously water and salt gets trapped between the layers of steel and just lays there when the hood is closed. The only other area was the metal mounting bar above the rear licence plate, that holds the two licence plate lights. The bar itself was poorly prepped before being painted and installed on the car. Its only solution is a new one ($11 as I recall) or sandblasting and correctly refinishing the part.

To be honest, most of the 95+ subies I see around here are rust free. The 1990-94s were fairly rust prone, though no more than any other car of it's era. But a 1996 in southern ontario without rust and original paint is a rare gem indeed. I'd take the owner to task over it. Here in the salt-belt it's uncommon to find may cars over 10+ years old without at least some rust on them. But, if people take a lot of care most can be avoided.

A lot of the Subarus of that vintage in this region are starting to show some minor cancer, but they certainly stand up to the elements better than the cars made only a few years beforehand. 1st-gen Legacys are disappearing in waves, and you hardly ever see a Loyale around here anymore.

Make no mistake, automakers made some great strides in corrosion resistance during the 1990s. Still, NaCl is the devil.

Hey

You guys have been the best source for information and I need some.

I found any ad on Craigslist Vancouver Canada for a 1996 Outback Auto with 96K Miles for 7500 Canadian or 6500 US. It came out of London Ontario. The owner (2nd for the car) has the repair history and claims original paint, no accidents and rust free.

Some critics have claimed that subies have some rust problems. Are there any areas that I should pay particular attention? :headbang:

Its mostly the pre 1990 subarus that fall apart at the site of a salt shaker. Later models do fine.

i have a 11997 and the only thing rusted (same as all OBW) is the tailgate release.

nipper

nipper