Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know if in 2002 the oxygen sensor changed for the Outback ?. A dealer asked me for my VIN for a replacement but any listings I have looked at state that 99 and up are all the same. Its for the front before the Catalytic converter, I get a PO420 code and the dealer says that it is not the Cat (warranty), it is the sensor ($300.00!) installed. And also do some have 5 wires and some have 3 ?. The car is running fine just cannot stand the CEL on continuously.

Does anyone know if in 2002 the oxygen sensor changed for the Outback ?. A dealer asked me for my VIN for a replacement but any listings I have looked at state that 99 and up are all the same. Its for the front before the Catalytic converter, I get a PO420 code and the dealer says that it is not the Cat (warranty), it is the sensor ($300.00!) installed. And also do some have 5 wires and some have 3 ?. The car is running fine just cannot stand the CEL on continuously.

Dealer ALWAYS asks for a vin when ordering parts. They do this because there are parts that change mid production year like seals and minor gaskets, but the odds of something like an O2 sensor changing are slim. Valve cover gaskets on the EJ25 DOHC are a prime example of something that actually does randomly change in the cars.

Upstream O2 sensor at NAPA 142 bucks, downstream 106 bucks.

My parents are leaving Florida on Tues, they are bringing me back an o2 sensor. The Bosch sensor for my car there is around $60.00 for the front. I have read that Bosch makes the OEM sensor for Subaru, not sure if it is true but for the difference in price ($220.00 CAN at Subaru) I think I will try one on it myself.

My parents are leaving Florida on Tues, they are bringing me back an o2 sensor. The Bosch sensor for my car there is around $60.00 for the front. I have read that Bosch makes the OEM sensor for Subaru, not sure if it is true but for the difference in price ($220.00 CAN at Subaru) I think I will try one on it myself.

Dealers are charging way too much for these sensors and labor to install - which is a fairly easy diy job (IMO). Also, there was some really good discussion and advice awhile back on this topic - probably in the archives now. Because of that topic thread I was able to save a sister who lives out on the east coast from $1200 repair on a 96' Legacy L wagon. The Indy shop that her family takes their cars to diagnosed a check engine light code to be bad cats, which they inform her the repair/replacement would be around $1200. With the information from the O2 discussion thread I told her to replace just the forward O2 sensor and have the shop reset the ECU. (New O2 sensors are included with new Cats anyways so there was nothing to lose). Code never came back, and the repair was around $150.

Good price at $60. There are lot of e-store website that sell at or close to that, some with free shipping.

http://www.oxygensensorwholesale.com/

http://oxygensensors.com/

Let the engine warm up a bit before attempting to remove the old sensor - should help with the initial "breaking" to unthread.