Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20 (Legacy 2L non turbo EFI) spluttering

Anyone give me any pointers, the engine splutters like mad -loud exhaust and a blue flame comes out of the exhaust when the pedal is pushed normally.

sometimes if you just gently press the accelorator you can build the revs up as normal but if you push to far then it starts spluttering again, take your foot off and it runs ok again.

any ieas?

the check engine light is not on!

So you actually get flames out of the tail pipe?

Have you modified the exhaust/removed the catalytic converter?

I'd say you're probably running REALLY rich for flames to come out. As for why....I couldn't tell you without some more info.

You may also want to post on www.bbs.legacycentral.org

yeh actual flames! not yellow but blue, like a bunsen burner.

I thought maybe a valve had got stuck and so tried some fuel addative - injector cleaner lubricator type stuff - drove around for a while and it improved quite a bit. So now going to see how it goes, try some more addative perhaps and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reply, sorry the info is so vague, its a bit strange and a changing picture. If it wasnt for the exhaust flame I would have assumed that it was a dodgy fuel supply but the flame at exhaust makes me think that the valves arent working properly - does this make sense?

If it doesnt clear up with my current approach then I'll post on legacyecentral too -thanks for the link