Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping a 1995 2.2L into a 1998 Legacy Outback

I managed to make it to 220,000 miles in my 1998 Legacy Outback before experiencing the dreaded blown head gasket (BHG). I am considering obtaining a rebuilt engine from Colorado Component Rebuilders. The engine I'm considering getting is a 2.2L from a 1995 Legacy. I have been advised by CCR that this is an easy swap, requiring only a different intake manifold, which they would also supply. The 2.2L is cheaper, and from what I've read, more durable than the vintage of 2.5L my car now has.

I have two main questions:

1. Is this swap even worth it? The car is not too far from a quarter million miles. The automatic transmission performs just as well as it did 120,000 miles ago, when I bought the car. Besides a few minor repairs (alternator, starter) I did myself, and regularly scheduled maintenance, the car has required no work. Suspension feels great. Besides a few dashboard lights needing replacement, and failure of the keyless entry system, the electrics are fine. The BHG caused the engine to overheat a few times. On those occassions, I stopped the car and turned off the engine and waited for it to cool, of course. I don't think the radiator suffered any damage. No coolant leaks are evident.

1. Is this in fact a straightforward drop in replacement? Besides the mentioned manifold, would any other adaptations need to be made? My local dealer is willing to do the swap, but has never done this before. The bill would amount to about $3500 for parts and labor.

1a. If I proceed with the swap, what other things should I have rebuilt or replaced, as a precautionary measure? Torque converter? CV joints?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really love this car, and would like to keep it around for at least two more years (I drive about 25,000 miles a year). I don't want start pouring money down a hole, though.

They drop right in and you can't get a better engine. CCR has a great product and are very good people to work with.

I've done 4 of these swaps and I'm happy with the results.

I grab the purge canister from a 90-95 and install it in the engine compartment, but you can also use the stock one.

If you need the canister, just hit the local yard. It takes about a day to do the swap. Less time if every nut and bolt is not rusted tight.

Is'n that a lot of money to put into an 11 yo car? How long would you have to drive it to get your money back?

Is the 2.5 smoked or can you have new HG put in? $1,200 might be worth it. OBW's with blown engines sell for $650 to $1,000 on eBay.

if i put 3500 in a car i'd want to drive it at least 35k miles to break even. if you can afford to wait for the rght car, you can buy a wreck with a 2.2l engine, do the swap and drive for lots less.

there was a great discussion just this week about 2.2's into 2.5 cars. (search for it.) what fits, what's easy, etc.

Is'n that a lot of money to put into an 11 yo car? How long would you have to drive it to get your money back?

Is the 2.5 smoked or can you have new HG put in? $1,200 might be worth it. OBW's with blown engines sell for $650 to $1,000 on eBay.