Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rant(s) of the day. Topic: Dealer oil change and other misc. stuff

A couple months ago my car had a leaky head gasket, so I took it to the dealer I purchased it from in order to get it documented and taken care of. It just so happens that it was time for the oil change as well, so I said, "Hey, can you please change the oil while the car is here."

Fast forward 3 months/3000 miles. I go to change my oil today. First off, it took me 3 tries to break the oil filler cap loose. Strange I was thinking, but whatever. I thought that was a workout...I go to take the drain bolt out and it just won't budge! The car is rocking back and forth and I am using all of my 143 pounds of might to get it out. Screw this I say, I'm not breaking anything. I cringe to think how tight the oil filter is on:eek: I'm flippin mad rightnow.

And to top it off, my clutch is starting to slip with only 60,xxx miles in 3-4th gears at about 4,000rpm...right where all of the power is. I think that the previous owner is mostly to blame for that one since I have owned the car for about 12,000 miles, and I was proficient in driving a standard before this car.

Ahhhh, all finished. Thanks for listening USMB.

Kevin

A couple months ago my car had a leaky head gasket, so I took it to the dealer I purchased it from in order to get it documented and taken care of. It just so happens that it was time for the oil change as well, so I said, "Hey, can you please change the oil while the car is here."

Fast forward 3 months/3000 miles. I go to change my oil today. First off, it took me 3 tries to break the oil filler cap loose. Strange I was thinking, but whatever. I thought that was a workout...I go to take the drain bolt out and it just won't budge! The car is rocking back and forth and I am using all of my 143 pounds of might to get it out. Screw this I say, I'm not breaking anything. I cringe to think how tight the oil filter is on:eek: I'm flippin mad rightnow.

And to top it off, my clutch is starting to slip with only 60,xxx miles in 3-4th gears at about 4,000rpm...right where all of the power is. I think that the previous owner is mostly to blame for that one since I have owned the car for about 12,000 miles, and I was proficient in driving a standard before this car.

Ahhhh, all finished. Thanks for listening USMB.

Kevin

Yeah, that sucks. 60 k on a clutch isn't too great. As for the oil tightness, I'd defninitely call and rag out the dealer. I'd expect that from a crappy jiffy-lube, but not from a dealer.

Yeah, what IS it with these mechs?

I ALWAYS re-install the plugs and bolts and nuts on the car with a torque wrench. It's easy and it's much safer in the long run, since nothing is stressed further than necessary.

Kev, your oil pan will need replacing, the drain-bolt is gonna hurt something on the way out :-\

Mmm... fast-forward ahead a couple years to when auto dealers are all wailing and gnashing teeth over having been displaced by a more "efficient business paradigm". :eek: It can't happen soon enough AFAIC. Reminds me a little bit of General Motors. The elephant is in the room, but Elvis has left the building. :burnout:

**** ******!