Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emergancy Answer On Fuel Pump Needed!

EMERGENCY ANSWER NEEDED! I had to have MY '92 LEGACY WAGON towed again yesterday and the mechanic tried to start it this morning. (see my other post for no start.) No start. While whacking on the fuel pump? and trying to start it, it did so he thinks it's the fuel pump. Does that sound right??? Is there anything cheaper it might be that he should check and how should he check for it? It looks like a $450 job otherwise. Also--the only place to get a pump here is the dealer--waaay overpriced. Any other ideas on where to get one? COLORADO SPRINGS. THANKS!

If the fuel pump is in the tank, which I think it is on that car, hitting the outside of the tank near the fuel pump would also vibrate the fuel pump wire. I had a car that wouldn't start intermittently and the culprit was the connector that went to the fuel pump. I went to the junkyard and bought one for $5 and soldered it in. Worked great. I am not saying that the fuel pump isn't the problem, just that an intermittent electrical connection may be the problem instead.

I could tell by wiggling the connector on the mornings that the car wouldn't start. The car would always start if I wiggled the connector. The connector was on the outside and I didn't need to remove the fuel pump. That was on a '89 Dodge Spirit, so your situation may be very different. I am just offering it as a cheap thing to check before replacing the $$$ fuel pump. Intermittent problems are the most difficult to troubleshoot.

he has never worked on a subaru, just american cars? being in colorado, you should be able to find a competent subaru mechanic that may be better equipped to diagnose your problem. just because your pump is working intermittently, doesnt mean its the pump itself..could be computer isnt getting a signal, computer itself, bad connection, etc... just hate to see ya throw down 450 for a new pump, and still have the problem.. good luck..

Yes replace it yourself with a used one....

there are 4 screws on the plate cover under the carpet in the back and 3 hoses one plug in and about 8 - 10 (8mm) nuts holding it in.

Its about a 30 min job to 45 to do it yourself

You might even test the conections inside the tank ( i had one that just had a bad conection and needed to be tightened )

Get a subaru mechanic.. then find a better source for the fuel pump. Not sure what it is about the job that would justify $450.. tell us where in CO you are, and either me, or someone else will know a good direction to point you for a soob mechanic.