Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bubbles in the coolant

Guest tompalushock

Guest tompalushock

Is this a serious deal, and what should i do to fix the problem. I noticed when i have the cap off, the coolant has little bubbles in it. When i step on the gas, it will eventually move to the top, but it is very foamy[white, like sudsy, best way to explain it]. Okay, now what is the cause, and if there is a remedy , or should i not worry about it.

Guest Hondasucks

My theories would include:

LEAKY head gasket

cracked head

(Either of the above would cause the car to lose water, so if you are constantly having to add water to the car, those migth be your problem.)

If the car does NOT lose water, I'd say either you have some air getting into your system somehow, or your water pump is cavitating.

There is a test thing you can get that will test for hydrocarbons in the cooling system, that will tell you if you have a leaking head gasket or cracked head.

Guest tompalushock

no, i don;t really have a coolant leakage problem. I have an 83 gl wagon, and i hooked up a resevoir bottle, which seems to work just fine. I might have to add just a bit every couple of weeks or so, but it seems pretty solid. My main concern is something really bad going to happen if i keep driving like this. I am just curious why it foams up like that , when the cap is off, and i hit the gas pedal, and rev it up for about 10 seconds. the bubbles i see are only a few, but are very small in size. Would a backflush, with some kind of additive maybe relieve the situation. Since my got both my fans working , the gauge never goes over halfway at any time, i guess that is ok, though right?

Guest schreckman

When you added the tank did you change the radiator cap? They are different styles so that it will pull the coolant back into the system. (has an extra seal) Some bubbles would be normal. You should check the concentration with a refractometer and check the ph level with a test strip. Other than that, flush it add new coolant using an airlift tool to get rid of the air and only use distilled water to mix the coolant.

Guest Hondasucks

If you rev it up real high, (5,000 RPM or so) you are probably seeing the results of the water pump cavitating. With the cap on and the system under pressure, cavitation is not as likely due to the pressure, but doesnt' pose a problem unless it cavitates really bad, in which case the water will not flow :-P (Prolly won't happen unless you are turning 7,000 RPM for a while...)