Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 OBW Limited - What's it worth?

I'm going to be selling my '98 Outback wagon Limited early next month and have to figure out an asking price for it. I realize that there's blue book, etc., but they really vary. The car has 115k, auto trans, leather heated seats, AM/FM/CD, Subaru subwoofers, single sunroof, rear spoiler, and a ski rack on top. Edmunds.com says private party is $5400, KBB.com says $6700. This is based upon good/clean condition. I suppose that I could check Ebay for completed listings of similar cars.

I just got done swapping in a '95 2.2 with 95k miles. It got a full tune up, with timing belt, WP, Tstat, oil pump seal, cam & crank seals, oil sep. plate, trans filter, and front diff fluid, plugs and PCV valve. Also front rotors & pads. The car should be ready to drive for a long while with only minor maintenance. I could probably post some photos of the car if that would help...

Anyhow, Thanks for any ideas,

Steve H.

I'm going to be selling my '98 Outback wagon Limited early next month and have to figure out an asking price for it. I realize that there's blue book, etc., but they really vary. The car has 115k, auto trans, leather heated seats, AM/FM/CD, Subaru subwoofers, single sunroof, rear spoiler, and a ski rack on top. Edmunds.com says private party is $5400, KBB.com says $6700. This is based upon good/clean condition. I suppose that I could check Ebay for completed listings of similar cars.

I just got done swapping in a '95 2.2 with 95k miles. It got a full tune up, with timing belt, WP, Tstat, oil pump seal, cam & crank seals, oil sep. plate, trans filter, and front diff fluid, plugs and PCV valve. Also front rotors & pads. The car should be ready to drive for a long while with only minor maintenance. I could probably post some photos of the car if that would help...

Anyhow, Thanks for any ideas,

Steve H.

i paid 4400 for my 1997 OBW LTD 180K (one owner all receipts no rust). i bought it in NJ where they get a lot of snow, and the price was not out of line for what they selling here on Long Island.

Look in your local papers to see what your market those cars sell for. There is a big price swing depending where you live.

nipper

I'm going to be selling my '98 Outback wagon Limited... I just got done swapping in a '95 2.2 with 95k miles.

This is just my opinion. but if you swapped in a 2.2 engine for a 2.5, i think you'll get fewer bites and lower offers. I know among this board, the 2.2 is the favorite engine, but among the general public, I'm not so sure people will realize the benefits. It's like someone said earlier, we're obsessed with numbers and higher HP has always been seen as an "improvement" even though the net gain is negligible (especially considering the potential problems).

But then again, it's about finding the right buyer. I had an impreza brighton coupe I was trying to sell with essentially no options and most people were turned off by it. after a month, I was about to give up and drop the asking price when a guy called and said that was EXACTLY what he was looking for and paid my price. I just got lucky because I found the 1 buyer in my area to buy the car.

your situation may be similar. Most people won't see why you "downgraded" the engine, but there will be a few out there that will appreciate it and be WILLING to PAY for it (that's the key). If you have a long time horizon, then no problem.

I realize that I am quite honest compared to some when selling cars, but as far as the 2.2 swap is concerned, I don't think it will be an issue unless I bring it up. I know that many people do some research on a particular make/model when they're getting ready to buy, but many others are just out shopping for something in their price range. I am hoping to just go with the fact that all of the maintenance has been done on the car and it should last a long time, and not go to the fact that I swapped in a 2.2 because it's a more reliable motor. I also think that because the 2.2 was offered in these cars that's it's not as likely someone will question why it's in there. Just what I'm thinking right now. I'll have to see what happens when it's on the market.

Steve H.

I'd almost trade you straight up for my 97 OBW 5 speed 93K with the head gaskets/timing belt/waterpump/clutch/oil seperator/seals/you name it done only 2k miles ago.

Then YOU'D have a non-bastardized car to sell to the general public, and you'd sleep better at night for any non-disclosure on the engine swap.....

And I'D have a mechanically superior car with just a few more miles on it, and like yourself, sleep much better at night. It's a win-win!

Oh....and Mississippi IS nice this time of year!:banana:

Just sold the same thing for $4500. The 2.2 did not come in the Outback other than the 95. I've sold 4 of these swaps and always put the fact out there so the new owner is not in for a shock the first them they get maintenance done.