Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi - I see there is a wealth of information on this board. I'm looking at picking up a used Legacy wagon, and I've seen from some initial searches that the best bet is going for a 90-96 with the 2.2 liter. I stopped by Subaru dealer yesterday and they have an automatic 96 Legacy outback with 190K miles. I assume this has the 2.5 liter known for head gasket issues. If the head gasket hasn't been changed, or if they don't have service records, should I stay away from this car due to the mileage? They are changing the timing belt right now. Any other major issues to look out for with that mileage... tranny? They're asking $3K - I was actually suprised when I searched autotrader how well these cars hold their value for being 10 years old.

Hi - I see there is a wealth of information on this board. I'm looking at picking up a used Legacy wagon, and I've seen from some initial searches that the best bet is going for a 90-96 with the 2.2 liter. I stopped by Subaru dealer yesterday and they have an automatic 96 Legacy outback with 190K miles. I assume this has the 2.5 liter known for head gasket issues. If the head gasket hasn't been changed, or if they don't have service records, should I stay away from this car due to the mileage? They are changing the timing belt right now. Any other major issues to look out for with that mileage... tranny? They're asking $3K - I was actually suprised when I searched autotrader how well these cars hold their value for being 10 years old.

don't do it!!!

I made this exact mistake a few weeks ago.

don't do it!!!

your location says international so i can't tell where you live. each market is different. around where i live i would not get that vehicle. maybe in other areas you have fewer options and can only take what you can get/find.

if you plan for the head gasket repair - can fix it yourself, have the $1,100 available for someone else to do it, have a spare motor or are willing to swap in a 2.2 if/when they fail then it becomes a better option. in which case you can usually just find a 2.5 subaru for $500-$1000 with a bad gasket to begin with and save yourself $2,000, then do the work.

unless the head gasket was replaced i wouldn't buy a 2.5 for that much even with half that mileage. i wouldn't believe the seller unless they can absolutely prove the head gasket was replaced.

note comment by previous poster, be very careful. it's not that all 2.5's are bad. but think about it....which 2.5's are most likely to be dumped by their owners....the ones that run great or the ones that are starting to show signs of failure?

Having been thru the head gasket, oil seals, wheel bearings, etc., with my '96 Outback (also a 2.5L) I can tell you that it is neither fun nor cheap to have those things repaired, but if you're like me and you appreciate an occasional mechanical "challenge" to remind yourself what it's like to have a little grease under the fingernails, then these particular Subes are something that you can grow to love -- I know -- I have. That said, an asking price of $3K on a vehicle on which you know none of the history, is way too risky. I'm assuming with your international designation that you are quoting either Canadian or Aussie $$. If that's an American dollar price then that dealership dreams of making big money by snagging the odd sucker, er, I mean customer, on a deal such as this. The Blue Book value on this vehicle out here in the Western US is only around $2K. Be aware, and be wary. I think you could find a bettter deal without much looking....

thanks all. I figured it might be a nightmare waiting to happen. I'm actually in the Philadelphia, PA area - I'll have to update my profile info. So I take it looking for a used legacy wagon with the 2.2 motor is a much safter bet. Any suggestions on when "high mileage" is too high even with the 2.2?

By the way when I went to kelly blue book online - the private party retail value for a 96 Legacy outback with 190000 miles is ~ $4K. I am suprised that it is so high - is this just due to my location?

2.2's are highly reliable (96 and older are non-interferance) and manuals are more reliable than autos. I would hold out for a 2.2 if I were you. I did. I paid $4750 for my 96 leg. outback 113k 5spd w/ leather and cold weather, near perfect cond. just 5 months ago. I even traveled 5 hours to pick it up.

By the way when I went to kelly blue book online - the private party retail value for a 96 Legacy outback with 190000 miles is ~ $4K. I am suprised that it is so high - is this just due to my location?

I'm in SE Penna. as well, and Subarus are very pricey around here. Yesterday I looked at the prices on the Welsh Subaru (Collegeville) ad and just about croaked.

But I agree -- a little patience will turn something up in a private sale. What you need is someone with a 95 or 96 wagon 5 speed with teenagers about ready to get their licenses -- they'll unload the 5 speed and purchase an auto for the kids to learn on.

Sunday Inquirer, Cars.com, Craigslist -- you'll find something soon.

Rob Kuhlman

Well, I admit that I usually look at the "trade-in value" rather than the Private Party resale values from the Kelly Blue Book, because in my personal experience I don't often sell a car for the private party value, and when I buy used I can usually settle on a price closer to the trade-in than the private party value. So, that's the difference between your number and mine. There is no difference based on geography between this coast and yours. I ran both my current zip code and my mother-in-law's (my wife is from Philly) and the estimates were nearly identical.

Amazing what the re-sale is on a 190,000 mile subie.............

mine only has 134,000 so may be considered a creampuff............."Only driven by my old lady to deliver the mail"...........biggest problem was she always wanted to go 70 between boxes.............<GGGGG>

Last fall I bought a 92 Dodge Dakota 4x4 for another winter beater.........only had 154,000 on it...............paid $500 for it, needed about $200 in repairs, that I did. Subie gets waaaaaay better mileage!

thanks all. I figured it might be a nightmare waiting to happen. I'm actually in the Philadelphia, PA area - I'll have to update my profile info. So I take it looking for a used legacy wagon with the 2.2 motor is a much safter bet. Any suggestions on when "high mileage" is too high even with the 2.2?

i was shocked when the bluebook for my 1997 OBW LTD 180K was around 5 grand. The cars do hold their resale very well. 190K is just broken in :)

nipper

is it worth even bothering to have a mechanic check it out? I'm not overly concerned about the price right now - I'm sure we can negotiate down from $3K - and it is a dealer after all. I might be inclined to pay a little more knowing that they checked it out and just replaced the timing belt (they are actually asking me to have an outside mechanic check it out - and I also asked if they could provide information if it's had a head gasket repair). 190K miles does sound like a lot, but if it's been driven that much it must have been a good car. HOw many miles can you expect to get out of these OBW's anyway before they totally fall apart? Is 190K going to be much different than 130K if it's all highway miles? Looks like a lower mileage car is going to cost $1500 more at least.

i don't know where you guys live but 3000 for an outback is a great price.

i am in tahoe area of california and you cant find an outback even with 200000 miles for under $5000. damn i would buy it and sell it for $4500.

Tahoe is subaru heaven

the 190,000 isn't necessarily what worries me but the 2.5 is. you never know with the head gasket. if that doesn't bother you then get it.

at 200,000 another important issue is with timing belt pulleys. they have bearings and bearings don't last forever. if one bearing fails the belt and motor will be severly damaged. so a timing belt only change is nice but doesnt' provide what i consider reliability (but everyones definition is different). the pulleys should at the minimum be checked, i would address them all if it was my car. the water pump as well should be replaced as it is driven by the timing belt as well and overheating is a terrible thing for head gaskets.

if you're willing to live with the 2.5 head gasket possibilities, this sounds like a good deal even if you pay to have the timing belt stuff addressed afterwards. maybe they replace the timing belts and you offer to pay for new pulleys and water pump? they'll be 'right there' when they replace the belt anyway, only takes a minute to replace the pulleys.

it won't start falling apart at that mileage, but wheel bearings, water pumps, alternators, starters, auto trans, calipers don't last forever on any vehicle. with the exception of the auto trans these are all minor in my oppinion.