Ultimate Subaru Message Board

100,000 Warranty? (DriveTrain Problems)

So I just purchased a 2001 Outback Legacy last year and put about 3000 miles on it before the carrier barrings broke which I was told was a very uncommon problem by the mechanic. The car luckily had 58,000 miles on it and is under the PowerTrain warranty. I have been babying the car ever since worrying about whats going to break next.

I have the option of extending the warranty to 100,000 miles which I may pursue. If it will help me sleep better at night knowing I have the coverage, I may pull the trigger but I wanted to get another opinion first. Does anyone have coverage up to 100,000? How much should I expect to pay for this warranty? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

hoops

Now that you mention it, I just yesterday got a telephone call from "The Warranty Division" and the dude on the phone told me their "records" indicated I had a motor vehicle with less than one hundred thousand miles and...........

I told the dude I wasn't interested, no see you later, CLICK!

And now that I think about it, the next time "The Warranty Division" calls, I'm going to tell that fellow on the phone "I sure DO have a motor vehicle with less than one hundred thousand miles, since I DISCONNECTED the speedometer two years ago!":cool:

A LOT of these extended warranties are in actuality insurance policies put out there by companies that may not be there a week from now. If it is being sold through you by the dealer, see if the dealer will put in writing that he will honor the warranty he sells you if the writer goes out of business...........

There are also plenty of exclusions and co-pays that may render the policy worthless.

Many years ago I had one on an AMC Eagle I bought used. Sure enough 3 months after buying the car, the front pump went on the tranny. Not a cheap repair on an all wheel drive Eagle. They asked plenty of questions, worded so it looked like they were trying to disallow the claim. But they finally did pay. Had 3 more repairs done under that warrany, all were a battle with the company.

2 friends both had extended warranties on Dodge Stealths, both had tranny problems, one friend had tranny rebuilt 3 times, other had tranny rebuilt twice. At that time, a factory replacement tranny would have been cheaper (and better) but the policy forbid it as it would only cover a rebuild...............go figure?

I also remember a 60 minutes(Dateline, or other news show) expose on people buying these warranties and having the underwriters go out of business...............leaving purchasers with nothing.

swi66