Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alrighty, you audiophiles... that "how do I make the stock speakers sound better?" thread got me thinking.

I like the weather band radio on the cassette deck that's original in my '97 OBW. It's one of those features that comes in handy only once in a great while, but when you need it, you're really glad it's there.

On the other hand, I really want a CD player, and I'd like to go with a HD radio tuner, if possible (assuming I manage to find a boatload of cash somewhere in the near future, not likely).

Seein' as I have yet to find a deck with the CD player, HD tuner, and weatherband all built-in, I'm hoping there's a way I could install a second deck that has all the features except the weatherband, so that it plays in conjunction with the original deck.

Is there any way to set that configuration up?

the easiest way? replace your stock system with the system you want sans WB. then go out and buy a portable WB radio and plug it into you cig lighter when you want to hear the weather.

want the clever way? same as above but take advantage of your double din radio slot and keep your factory HU in its original slot and add the new HU in the 2nd slot. wire the new HU to the power and speakers. but wire the old HU to a separate power tap. buy 1 speaker and mount it under your seat and wire it to your old HU. when you buy your new HU with all the toys, make your you get one of those "disapearing" faces that flips itself around and all you see is a black rectangle. that way when potential thieves look in your car, all they see is a crappy old stock HU.