Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power out from ECU or into ECU

Hi guys,

I am after information on the 'check engine light'.

The wire that comes out of the ECU that goes to the CEL is that a power wire out or does this wire receive power.

I am running an EJ22 on an engine stand and thought that I would get the CEL working. Ran the wire from the ECU to a two pin pilot light. One pin connected to this wire out from ECU, the other to ground. I expecting the light to come on with ignition power but......... Nothing!

This made me think that maybe the computer sends the signal to the light by earthing out the 'subject wire' and allowing power to be drawn through the light.

Not game to test the theory, and I don't have the correct wiring diagrams for a post 94, pre 98 EJ22.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Thanks WAWalker,

Just what I was after.

Mate, a bit of an odd question for you here. The wiring diagrams that you refered to, are they an electronic copy and could I possibly get them off you some how? I am having a hell of a time trying to find wiring info for my engine etc between the 94 and 98 models......

If not, no worries..... it was worth a try

Cheers

Paul

Thanks WAWalker,

Just what I was after.

Mate, a bit of an odd question for you here. The wiring diagrams that you refered to, are they an electronic copy and could I possibly get them off you some how? I am having a hell of a time trying to find wiring info for my engine etc between the 94 and 98 models......

If not, no worries..... it was worth a try

Cheers

Paul

I'll see what I can do. That diagram I was looking at is from Alldate DIY. A one year subscription is $25 USD then $15 USD for each additional, if you want to go that route. I have copied and pasted info off that site so I could probably e-mail them. Let me know, shoot me a PM.