Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy A/C and Heater smells like musty

Is there anyway to clean something to make the smell that comes out of the heater a/c smell better. Mine, since new smells a bit musty. It has gotten worse and is only when using the a/c, not the heater. I noticed new cars have interior air filtration systems, but I doubt anything this old would have a filter I could change. Has anyone experienced this or found a solution?

Is there anyway to clean something to make the smell that comes out of the heater a/c smell better. Mine, since new smells a bit musty. It has gotten worse and is only when using the a/c, not the heater. I noticed new cars have interior air filtration systems, but I doubt anything this old would have a filter I could change. Has anyone experienced this or found a solution?

Easy spray a can of lysol into the air intake under the hood. CYcle the hvac through all the positions and temps while spraying. There is more expensive stuff in auto parts stores, but lysol has fixing the problem for 20 years now :)

nipper

First, you need to make sure the A/C water drain tube is not plugged.

If it is plugged, nothing will help long term.

I used odor-ban on two cars for this problem, but I don't think Sam's carries it anymore. Maybe something from a per store that eats up urine smells.

You could also pour some lemon juice in there. The acid may kill the stuff that's growing, and it won't smell as bad as lysol.

One approach: http://www.inct.net/~autotips/musty.htm

As already suggested, be sure to verify that the drain isn't clogged.

If using a spray, when applying it via the exterior air intake (near the windshield wipers), be sure the a/c is not in the "recirculation" position, or it won't pull the product through the system.

I'm not sure what air intake under the hood you are talking about spraying the lysol, and also, where is the a/c drain to verify it is not clogged. Thank you

I'm not in complete agreement with Nipper's idea of spraying Lysol into the cowl air intake---that'll end up making the interior of the car smell more like a bathroom. However, the air intake he's referring to is right beneath the area where the passenger-side windshield wiper parks. If you turn the A/C blower on hi and make sure the "recirc" switch is off, you'll hear the blower motor pulling air in thru the cowl air intake. Use Frigi-fresh. It's one of those BG products and sometimes you can find it at auto parts stores. You spray the product into the air intake while the blower is on medium or hi speed.

In both of our Subarus, we keep the blower running continuously, no matter what season or outside temperature. Not only does that keep fresh air flowing thru the car, it keeps air flowing across the heater core and evaporator core, preventing moisture build up and mildew odor.

I'm not in complete agreement with Nipper's idea of spraying Lysol into the cowl air intake---that'll end up making the interior of the car smell more like a bathroom.

Actually ive been doing it for years. The trick is to have the windows of the car open. Lysol sets off my asthma, so if i can deal with it, anyone can :)

nipper