Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My First Subaru, what to buy for it?!?!

I just purchased my first Subaru ever...

I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Sedan. I love it so far. Awesome handling, 5 speed manual is fun and responsive, all wheel drive gives the car a secure feeling. No compliants yet...

I am wondering what to buy for it though. Do they make intakes for a little more power? Maybe upgrading the wheels and tires? Exhuast?

This is my daily driver to work and back. Just looking for things to give it a little more punch and pizzaz.

I am open to suggestions as this is my first Impreza.

thanks for your help.

careful with the intake. It might ruin your MAF, depending on what you get. Cobb makes a nice one. I went with a K&N filter only. Exhaust is a good idea, like a borla or a stromung cat back.

Check out cobbtuning.com for some ideas.

also rs25.com

rallitek.com

congratulations and enjoy!

Congrats on the Impreza!

Yeah, research the intake thing before doing anything. Sometimes you can end up doing more harm than good and I believe even less power if you've got a turbo. Don't quote me on that last part, though.

But, don't neglect the handling capabilities of your Impreza! Any 16-year-old with a learner's permit can jam gears in a straight line. What makes your car special is all the speed it can carry through corners and the awesome drift-control AWD allows for not just dry but sandy, dusty, wet, snowy, what have you conditions.

For practice without the expensive repair bills, get yourself a force feedback steering wheel and a copy of Colin McRae Rally 2005 ;).

Does the Impreza have variable valve timing and 175hp like the Outback 2.5? If so I'd leave it alone.

You can buy the BBS RK wheels used on the SAAB 9-2 from some SAAB dealers for $500 per set. They weigh 18lbs (in 17x7) which is 4lbs less than the stock 5 spokes on my OBW.

The aftermarket exhaust generate little if any additional power, and many are annoying on the highway. you probably get more enjoyment for the buck by upgrading the factory speakers.

bbs1.jpg

I have an '06 WRX wagon. I am VERY impressed with my Sromung twin-tip axle back. Great tone, not annoying on the highway. I doubt it gave any significant power increase - I dunno. But I love the sound.

I also saved 3.5 pounds per corner and got wider tires, by swapping out the stock wheels for SSR in 17x7.5 . AND revovered some money by selling my take-offs!

I got tint and clear-film hood,fender,mirror protection (rockblocker type stuff)

and a dashmat.

Next on the list will be speaker/stereo upgrade and SPT or other springs. Oh yeah, I bought mud flaps off ebay from England but haven't put 'em on yet. I guess I'm still not sure about it.

you can get some ideas about wheels from http://www.tirerack.com - even puts up a pic of you car in your color and switches to whatever wheels you click.

also, some feedback on accessories is here;

http://www.subarureview.com/

here's a link to my car photos;

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9980&cat=500&ppuser=105

Carl

Just got ahead and find you a turbo kit, be ALOT cheaper than owning a WRX if you factor in insurance. STi for my grandma was $900.

I like the idea an after market turbo to avioid insurance penalty. Does our garandma need to run premium, high octane, fuel through that turbo?

Juan

Leave the intake alone, it's quite a good design already. Fit a K&N panel filter if you like - I do.

As Texan says, a discrete and not too-loud exhuast will open the sound up and impress your ears. Power gain is minimal, maybe 2-3bhp on a sunny day ;)

Give the engine a chance to free-up as you run it in, you'll notice it will start to feel a little more powerful. Start it on a diet of fully synthetic oil at the first change. Another minimal gain is available here.

A good wheel and tyre combination will improve the grip without altering the sweet handling.

And I like the last idea about good gas. Don't skimp on the octane rating.

You can buy the BBS RK wheels used on the SAAB 9-2 from some SAAB dealers for $500 per set. They weigh 18lbs (in 17x7) which is 4lbs less than the stock 5 spokes on my OBW.

Ooooh nice I want some.

Generally the n/a Subaru motors don't make a great base for added power. For that it's much easier to start off with a WRX.

The suspension is a bit soft and could be a bit better balanced, so it's something you could do work to.

For example, a set of 04 STi suspension, which you can get for like $500 slightly used, will swap right in. The struts are beefy, the springs are stiff, and it will lower the car a bit as well. The ride, however, is not very cushy. After that you're basically looking at higher-end coilovers.

There is a pretty huge aftermarket for suspension, so you should do a lot of research into what exactly you want out of the car before you start buying stuff.

A K&N filter will do nothing for horespower, and will let in much more dust and dirt, which will shorten the life of your engine immensely.

my .02 wait till it gets out of warranty, you don't want any legitimate warranty claims kicked because you put on some aftermarket bits.

Straight line, it should already be plenty quick, and there's nothing you can do short of a turbo that will make it quicker in any quantifiable amount. Go with suspension and wheel/tire upgrades and you won't be dissapointed.

staying n/a, there's alot of small things you can do. I'm not really sure how the '06 cars respond to mods yet... if they have a hayday in the ecu or not.

you want a little more power, and stay in the warranty, you could try getting some SPT exhaust on there, an airfilter won't void warranty. I don't know if a k&n would do much on that car, but on my old car it made a pretty big difference combined with opening up the bottom of the airbox.

+1 for suspension mods. even if it's just swaybars and endlinks, do it! DO IT!

Thanks, lots of good ideas. Lighter wheels and maybe an exhuast sounds like the best bets. I will probably do the suspension upgrades as well. Curious on the aftermarket turbo, where to find them, how much power, (how much money), etc...

thanks again to everyone!!

Keep posting ideas!!