Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A friend of mine has a 99 outback with the headgasket issue. He had it overheat and I told him any sign of this take it in. Well the dealer tells him it is the HG. Any one with an opinion on selling it, fixing it or offering a price?

This is located in St. Louis, MO.

Michael

Go buy 200 cans of "Great Stuff" expanding foam, fill the interior of the Subaru with it and then push it off into the Mississippi river. I'll pick it up in Vicksburg next week, fix it for a nominal fee; of course you'll have to get down here to pick it up when I'm done.....

and I don't do foam!

But on the serious side, it is going to cost about $500-$600 in OEM Subaru parts (from one of the discount online dealerships) alone to do it right, then there is the labor and it is quite labor intensive---remove the engine like I did or leave the engine in the car and work with small hand mirrors and buy stock in Doans back pills....if I had to do another one I would definitely remove the engine from the car!