Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For 13 Freakin Years......

Just replaced some exhaust on a 93 loyale, and found this....

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oldexhaust1251kp.jpg

A section of pipe (about a foot) was intentionally "crushed" to less than 1 and a quarter inch!:cool:

So the mechanic did this with a REAL 2 inch...

http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newexhaust24aj.jpg

He bypassed old flange entirely, and was confident about it....

theres also a 24 inch glasspack after new section of pipe (flow tech red hots). ECM is takin awhile to adjust but it is doing so. The most unique sound I have had yet from an EA82 besides duals.

The flange seems to be necessary (even tho mine was stuck for years). I broke the y pipe on a short trip just an hour ago. There is a way to make original flange to work with new pipe without bottlenecking. I just can't get away without it. I had no idea that was a second cat, that was replaced by glasspack, all i find is "sound resonator" (resignator) or "center muffler" ... I wonder if I am illegal exhaust :-\

The flange seems to be necessary (even tho mine was stuck for years). I broke the y pipe on a short trip just an hour ago. There is a way to make original flange to work with new pipe without bottlenecking. I just can't get away without it. I had no idea that was a second cat, that was replaced by glasspack, all i find is "sound resonator" (resignator) or "center muffler" ... I wonder if I am illegal exhaust :-\

i dont know your states rules. federally perhaps

I know these EA82's are very small stroke.... but 1.25-1.5 inch exhaust seems way absurd (dangerous heat?).There are 1100cc motorcycles with more emphasis on exhaust size and route than this 1781. After changing to larger it ran cooler, a little more power from the get-go, and the sound i was trying to kill was way in back of the car instead of buzzing my head thru the shifter.

Another point is the 9.5:1 on spfi getting same exhaust as lower compression EA82.Mass production's "who cares, we saved a buck" attitiude is in alot of cars. I got a better look this morning, it is simply broken and not dangling (hung well), i wonder if welding smoke excited convertor into too hot for the 13 year old y-pipe. These things can be dangerously tricky... Give .25 more on pipe, and all kinds of little thinks had to be changed (including idle/air mix, reset ECM, maybe even timing).

It broke climbing a rather bumpy steep hill, I'd swear the sound was like 20 ft in back of the car before pipe broke (odd to comprehend). It was probably on fire :lol:

Definately crap weld, one side (ironically still together) doesnt even appear to be welded, I can see the edge of the pipe at convertor connection, no weld noticable (unless I'm blind)! That is right where it broke. I guess putting demand on it revealed its weakness.:banghead:

Give an inch, fall apart for miles .. Darn those famous sayings.:burnout:

I really dont want to keep this post babbling on, but here is final result. (it really does need the flange with springs in other words)

The y-pipe or another exhaust peice will break without it.The new 2 inch pipe fit exactly over remains of flange for tight easy weld (cheap upgrade!):)

Here is pic:

http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newexhaust0394ei.jpg