Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Want Legacy Headlight washers

I have a 91 UK Legacy brochure and it shows that headlight washers were standard on all Legacy's. Does anyone know where I can buy parts for UK Subaru's or know of any junkyards in the UK that may have Legacy's to part out? I live in Colorado ahd headlight washers would be a big help.

I've recently looked at their catalog and no luck.

if the land of nuclear powered fuzzy dice that will clean your car and leave a fresh pine scent doesnt have them, i dont know what else to suggest :headbang:

i think it may require an entirely differnt bumper skin. Why not go to scrap yards and look for other cars that came equiped with them?

nipper

got them while in the UK....

cut my bumper with a dremel and installed myself

bought the washer switch, the washers, the clamps

yet to install the pump, hoses, t-fitting and tubing.

the US bumper beam is totally in the way

I have got to sort out how to plumb and keep the large US bumper beam

I am not into the JDM pencil beams. they are not safe

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

if the land of nuclear powered fuzzy dice that will clean your car and leave a fresh pine scent doesnt have them, i dont know what else to suggest :headbang:

i think it may require an entirely differnt bumper skin. Why not go to scrap yards and look for other cars that came equiped with them?

nipper

I'll try your suggestion. Does anyone know where I can locate UK junkyards on the web. I've tried to Google some but no luck so far.

I'll try your suggestion. Does anyone know where I can locate UK junkyards on the web. I've tried to Google some but no luck so far.

silly i meant here in the US. Volvos Mercedes BMW and other cars have headlight washers.

ALso you can try to google it

nipper

silly i meant here in the US. Volvos Mercedes BMW and other cars have headlight washers.

ALso you can try to google it

nipper

Friday I sent a parts request to Subaru head office in the UK and I received a message from a UK Subaru dealer. He listed all the parts needed to install the headlight washer system (two nozzles and bumper clips, one check valve and washer pump) No mention was made for a separate tank or any dashboard installed switches or switches located on the headlight control stalk or the wiper control stock. It appears that washing the windshield automatically washes the headlights. I then examined closely my UK Legacy brochure and all the photos of the interior do not show a special switch to wash the headlights.

The pump I currently have may be strong enough to provide pressure to wash both the windshield and headlights. I've sent a response to the UK dealer to confirm this. It appears that all I need to install is the nozzles, bumper clips and check valve.

Installing nozzles from other European makes (Saab, Volvo, Jaguar) may not be angled correctly (shoot too high or low) Besides, if I can get Genuine Subaru parts, then my car is still 100% Subaru. I have Google'd with no luck.

Friday I sent a parts request to Subaru head office in the UK and I received a message from a UK Subaru dealer. He listed all the parts needed to install the headlight washer system (two nozzles and bumper clips, one check valve and washer pump) No mention was made for a separate tank or any dashboard installed switches or switches located on the headlight control stalk or the wiper control stock. It appears that washing the windshield automatically washes the headlights. I then examined closely my UK Legacy brochure and all the photos of the interior do not show a special switch to wash the headlights.

The pump I currently have may be strong enough to provide pressure to wash both the windshield and headlights. I've sent a response to the UK dealer to confirm this. It appears that all I need to install is the nozzles, bumper clips and check valve.

Installing nozzles from other European makes (Saab, Volvo, Jaguar) may not be angled correctly (shoot too high or low) Besides, if I can get Genuine Subaru parts, then my car is still 100% Subaru. I have Google'd with no luck.

care to share the details with me :) The only thing i would suggest is if your car is more then 5 years old you may want to replace the pump to restore full pressure.

nipper

care to share the details with me :) The only thing i would suggest is if your car is more then 5 years old you may want to replace the pump to restore full pressure.

nipper

I've sent a reply to the UK dealer but because they are 8 hours ahead of me (I'm in mountain time zone) I think the UK parts department has closed. My last question was "Is there a separate switch that washes the headlights"? I work in a big rig repair shop running the computers for all operations. The mechanics have speculated that the pump I currently have should be able to provide more than enough pressure. Even if there is a separate switch that I couldn't see in the brochure photos, I think my current system (windshield) could simply be spliced after my pump, install a second hose to the front bumper, attach the nozzles to the bumper and wash the lights when I wash the windshield (which seems the most practical). Some of the other European systems (Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, with or without tiny wiper arms on the lights) only wash the lights if the lights are on and the windshield is washed. The UK Legacy brochure showed the lights being washed with the lights off (headlight and parking light)

Waiting for a response from the UK dealer.

nipper

I was able to call the dealer in the UK and have confirmed that, for the Legacy, there is no special switch to wash the headlights. They are washed when you wash the windshield, regardless if the headlights are on or not. I have sent a reply to the UK to get the part numbers for the pump (which provides a little more pressure than the windshield pump can provide) headlight nozzles and clips that hold the nozzles to the bumper. The hoses are available here, so I don't need to have that shipped. This could be easier than I thought.

wait until you try to plumb the lines through your massive bumper beam :D

get a big f'n drill.... or plasma cutter :brow:

on the impreza

there is a T fitting for the washer lines

and a completely separate pump....

hopefully you'll figure it out...

good luck :)

wait until you try to plumb the lines through your massive bumper beam :D

get a big f'n drill.... or plasma cutter :brow:

on the impreza

there is a T fitting for the washer lines

and a completely separate pump....

hopefully you'll figure it out...

good luck :)

I work in a diesel truck repair shop and we have both drills and a plasma cutter so bonus for me if I need it. Maybe the bumper on the 91 Legacy is different than your newer Impreza. We have one mechanic who used to work on Subarus at the dealer. I'll ask him what I should expect to find under the bumper cover. I could also practice on a junk Legacy at the local junkyard and determine if it would be easier to just remove the bumper to install the nozzles. Thanks for your advice.

nipper

Have list of Headlight Washer parts and numbers

RH Nozzle=86640AA020

LH Nozzle=86640AA030

check valve=786634010

Nozzle Clamps=86617AA000

Pump=86611TA010

Pump Gasket=786623000

Next stop, the dealer to see if USA Subaru stocks these items, crossing my fingers on the nozzles and pump, the most important.

UPDATE 3/30/06

Only the check valve and the pump gasket are available Subaru USA. The other parts that start with an "8" will have to be ordered from UK. I'm going to try to see if I can find a UK Junkyard that will send me used parts before buying them new from the dealer (which is never cheap).

• 2 weeks later...

nipper

Found a salvage yard in UK that had the entire system, have sent payment, and will be installing soon. According to UK vendor, there is a separate switch that washes the headlights. It installs in the blank area below the cruise control and rear defroster switches. I always wanted to fill in that area anyway, now I'll have something official Subaru in that spot. I can send the photo I got from UK to show what it looks like.

Found a salvage yard in UK that had the entire system, have sent payment, and will be installing soon. According to UK vendor, there is a separate switch that washes the headlights. It installs in the blank area below the cruise control and rear defroster switches. I always wanted to fill in that area anyway, now I'll have something official Subaru in that spot. I can send the photo I got from UK to show what it looks like.

please do at nipper@optonline.net

or try this, i used same nozzles from another subaru, total project price was $0, thos are small parts that you can put in your pocket in the junk yards

HeadLGTwasherSCH.thumb.jpg

Some of have a conscience and would rather carry them up and say, "Hey I will give you $2 for these goffy dodads!" :)

please do at nipper@optonline.net

I was wandering in a salvage yard earlier today looking for that thing that holds the door open on the drivers side. Mine was worn out. Now the door stays open even on an incline.

:banana:

Saw two XT6's with the headlight washers ready to remove. I'm glad I left them alone. They sit flat on the bumper, not raised a 1/2 inch like the UK washers that are on their way. The switch was integrated into the washer controls. Impossible to use on my car.

Found another Legacy with an intact bumper cover, took it off and discovered styrofoam in front of metal bumper, so routing the hoses and making room for the washers shouldn't be difficult. No holes to drill into bumper substructure. Also found large hole directly below drivers headlight which should allow hose to run through the front.

• 2 weeks later...
STOP TEMPTING me you heathen :)

nipper

The washers arrived today. :headbang:

The washer tank is larger to accomodate dual duty. The hoses are twice the size of the windshield hoses and the pump is a third larger than the windshield pump. The switch is lighted (two tiny bulbs found on switch) and installs in a bezel that fits perfectly in that blank area underneath the defroster and cruise control switches (just installed for the hell of it). Switch blank found next to washer switch (might be new home for EDM rear fog light switch, found someone in Germany who might be able to locate EDM rear fog light that is located on the drivers side tail light assy where the back up light goes, the rear fog light lens is red).

• 2 months later...