Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to find a plastic clutch alignment tool?

Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to dropping the ej22 into my '98 Legacy outback and was wondering if anybody knows where to get one of those plastic molded clutch disc alignment tools for a Subaru? Usually they are included when you buy an aftermarket clutch kit, but I bought OEM parts and consequently didn't get one. I've used those "universal" alignment tools in the past (with the cone and the interchangable sleeves to fit into the center hole of the pilot bearing) and wasn't really impressed with how it worked (it was on a Honda and the amount of free play in the alignment tool made it completely worthless.) Anybody have pointers or a source for buying the plastic alignment tool?

thanks,

Nathan

LIke yourself, I bought the OEM components from a dealership a la carte. And I also had to go in search of the magical mystical made of the finest unobtanium clutch alignment tool for a Subaru.

I wound up buying the "one tool does all" from NAPA that as you say is a rod with a sliding cone and a bunch of different pilot bearing adapters that thread on to the rod. About $26 or so. The adapter that fits the Subaru pilot bearing does make a nice fit however.

Then I spent 4 $#^^@ days looking for the only missing pilot bearing adapter from the kit AFTER getting the engine back in the car:eek: I finally found it:banana: in a zip lock bag that it somehow jumped into.

I've seen a bunch of the plastic ones on ebay for like $5 or so.......