Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator Flush?

How would I go about flushing the radiator myself? I've been informed of some totally ghetto ways to do it, but I'd rather ask the "experts" first.:) Thanks. I also need to replace the gear oil and I was wondering what size socket I need, it seems like its a 22mm?? Thanks.

Haha, there are ghetto ways to do it.

They actually sell a "DIY" flushing kit at like Wally World and parts stores. I've bought and used them before, but think that just shoving the garden hose in the radiator with the drain plug out works just as good as those kits. I know it's not the most effective way...But, it's cheap!

at the radiator shop, I use a power washer to clean the outside, it's amazing how much crud accumulates, and a "flush gun" which is garden hose water with compressed air with a trigger, and that will make the gunk flow out

if it's really cruddy, it gets the boil tank of caustic soda and water, followed by more flushing

use a low pressure power washer, 1000 psi is about right, car wash might do

those "flush kits" are evil

I've just taken an ea82 radiator apart and am in the process of cleaning it - lots of whitish crud around each row; need a long thin & narrow piece of metal to push through each row to get all the crud out. I don't think a water hose would do the job. The right chemicals would likely dissolve the crud. Seems the radiator was designed to be taken apart easily.

Ive cleaned my 85 xt radiator twice by taking off the left side tank

and rodding the cores.

I made a rod from the metal strap off a brick pallet then grinding the width

to suit the inside diameter of the core .

A small set of wire cutters with one cutting edge ground down was used to open the locking tabs.

Cheers Pete

Now I dont know if this is a good or bad way to do it, but this is how I did it:

Bought a new 180 deg. thermostat, radiator drain plug (dont hurt to have a spare) Went to the local car wash, covered the disty (even though mine's bad, but ahem, anyways) removed the thermostat, tightened the housing, removed the radiator drain plug, drained the old nasty coolant into my oil tub, took the water hose, ran the car, spraying the hose full blast into the radiator (dont use wash, use rinse! hehe :)). I couldnt believe how much debris came out of the thing... did this for about 2 or 3 minutes until I saw no more beige looking debris (keep in mind my car sat for years prior to this cleaning) and then reinstalled my thermostat, and the drain plug, filled 'er with 50/50, and drove on! :banana: Two hours later, drove to Los Angeles and back, car stayed in the middle of the gauge the whole time...

keep in mind, we do things awfully weird in western arizona, this was taught to me by an "import" mechanic... although he said my car has only one timing belt, wtf I have two! "no you dont" haha :)

if the radiator is in question at all i'd get a new one. new two row radiators can be had for 85-120 depending on source. i've taken side tanks off and it's an annoying job to me and not worth it, but most of my radiators are in bad shape. i've mailed side tanks to people in far off countries that can't get parts (for the XT6), that's the only reason i've taken them off. there are a number of people on the boards that have mentioned rodding out the radiators, might want to search some more if you're interested in that method i've seen it mentioned a number of times by board members. a radiator shop can also do this for you.

if you do want to flush it out i'd buy a number of gallons of distilled water. drain the entire cooling system and refill with distilled water. repeat this a number of times and finish by adding half and half of coolant/distilled water or whatever mixture you like. then refill your batteries with the left overs, if they are the miantenance type, they should take distilled water only as well.

or buy the chemical kits and follow the directions.

Before you do it, check your local ordinances. It used to be you could dump antifreeze anywhere, but it's illegal in a lot of places now. It makes flushing your own cooling system more of a challenge, because you have to recover and recycle the waste.

gary... advance auto doesn't take antifreeze, and they can actually get a VERY hefty fine for accepting oil with antifreeze in it.. . I found this out the other day when I was trying to find a place to take old antifreeze (my mom works there). turns out there are NO PLACES here that will accept used antifreeze.. mine is in a gallon jug in the garage wasting space :banghead:

Check with your city or county. They usually have a waste disposal program for things like old paint and antifreeze. I've got about 6 gallons in my garage waiting for me to get to the dropoff point on the one day a year they accept hazardous waste from the public.

Hey JB,

I've used the "flush kit" and "tank flush" from prestone before, but never have had good results. Now, this might not be the best thing, but when I was having trouble with the hatch not making hot air, I cleaned the system like this: I had a mostly full container of CLR and another of Lime Away (quarts). I drained the radiator, (I have to pull the lower hose because the petcock broke off, so I get a lot of water from the block too), poured all of the CLR into the radiator and then topped it off with water, and then fired up the engine. Set it to fast idle, with the heater valve open, and let it idle until the radiator fan was cycling continously. Maybe 10 minutes of idle at full temp. Shut it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then pulled the lower hose again. I got a LOT of crap from the system. Then I did the whole thing again using the lime away. Same thing, run for 10 minutes when hot, let sit and then drain, again tons of stuff, but not as much as the first time. I pulled the thermostat, shoved the hose in outlet and flushed the block for 10 minutes or so. I plugged the lower outlet on the radiator, fill it up, then unplug. I flushed the radiator that way until all I got was clean water. Replaced the lower hose, new thermostat, and filled with 50/50. Made a huge difference in the heat from the heater. But I'd have to say that this method probably isn't that good for the block though. I think it does say NOT to use on aluminum :confused:. You might try just pulling the radiator, laying it face down with the cap on, and using a mixture of clr or lime away and water to fill the radiator, let it sit and then rinse, that way nothing in the block. I would also warm you that I suspect lime away and clr could cause pin hole leaks (that have been plugged by build up) to start leaking, although I haven't had any problems so far. So, take my advise at your own risk....:-\

Worst case you can take it to A-1 here in town. I had them boil and rod a a big chevy radiator a couple of years ago and it wasn't very much.

Good luck dude!

NV