Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Great weekend rallycrossing in Oregon

Just to report that I had the pleasure of attending Paul Eklund's rallycross school in Hillsboro, OR and the rallycross after the school. School consisted of a Friday evening discussion of vehicle handling. Saturday was lots of seat-time with individual instructors practicing skidpad runs, figure 8's, multiple turns, and slalom. There was also a competitive TSD event in the middle of the day to allow for a lunch break. Saturday was rainy most of the day and the 37 students managed to churn up the field pretty well. I was the lone Brat entry in field of WRXs, Imprezas, and some full-blown rally cars. Muddy conditions have always been hard for me, but Saturday's session gave me lots of "seat-time" and I started to get the hang of it. A short rallycross at the end of the day was used to see how much people learned. In spite of the conditions and on and off rain, it looked like everyone had a great time (especially me).

Sunday brought out a phenomenal turnout of cars for the rallycross event as well as a change in the weather. Laying out a course on the churned up field proved difficult, but Paul Eklund managed to get a course set up on the grass that was a bit short but still quite challenging and pretty quick for the conditions. On and off sunshine helped dry out the field somewhat and the afternoon saw the modified classes post some pretty fast times. I was pretty happy with my times since I saw some pretty good improvement relative to others I was running with in the past. ORG managed a fine event with a record 140 entries; well run, and on-time, and a ton of fun. I'm looking forward to the next event in April. Results to be posted as soon as they are available.

That was a pretty awesome Rally X. I was worried about how many cars were there, but like you said, they kept it well organized, it ran like a well oiled machine.

I spent all morning kicking myself for not bringing my M/Ts, but in the end I think it was too sticky and we were better off with Ken's *doctored* rally tires.

Ken and I co drove my OBS, his imp isn't ready yet. The little bastard did pretty good, considering it was entered into the Modified class, running against some seriously horse powered cars, full blown rally cars with their drivers ta boot. So Ken and I managed to get an exact tie for 4th place. Not good enough to get any medals, but good enough to get Ken some of those points he was hoping for.

All I can say is I wish it had more poop.

Here's Ken at the wheel with my wife for balast. We found the car moved a lot better with one of the two of us not in it. lol

rallycross_003.jpg

rallycross_004.jpg

There were a couple of sweet lifted Soobs there too. Anybody care to take a stab at who this was. Lifted Outback with 29 inch Swampers.

(only you who weren't there ;) )

You probably would remember him best by his stunt at WCSS. :grin:

rallycross_001.jpg

• 9 months later...

that must have been such a giggle, shame theres so little of that sort of free for all rally/grasstrack racing over here, tis all catagorised over here and classed, no free range classes where you can enter what you like, ive thought about using my truck as a stage opener and closer where you drive along the stage (quick obviously!) with a siren and a PA making the stage live and ready to race and vice versa, but it would mean i would have to get involved with a club and stuff, tis all so complicated! you lucky americans get oober cool days like these! AHHHHH! im so envious!