Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Center Diff

So....

does anyone have a clue what it takes to retro the EJ viscous center diff in the FT4WD cases?

I know Beefaru has the 4.111 with 1.592 gears and VC center in his RX case...but that was YEARS ago and even he doesnt remember what it took.

Hmmmmmmm.........

Sorry to be semi off topic, what's the difference between the viscious center and the differential lock on the full time? I haven't installed the full time RX trans yet but I assumed the lock switch kept the front and rear and the same speed. Is it for street friendlyness?

Sorry to be semi off topic, what's the difference between the viscious center and the differential lock on the full time? I haven't installed the full time RX trans yet but I assumed the lock switch kept the front and rear and the same speed. Is it for street friendlyness?

IIRC, the old (80's) FT RX tranny were open in the center, like the front and rear diffs, and it wasn't until the EJ trannys that the center became viscous. The lock made the system a true 4WD.

I'm still looking for some parts to try somthing similar myself.

RX transfer gear and center lock, which i have

4.44 or 4.11 final drive gears

1.52 Low Range

Front LSD

I'm mostly doing this for the crawl ratio, more than the on road performance, but any customization in either direction should help everyone out either way.

IIRC, the old (80's) FT RX tranny were open in the center, like the front and rear diffs, and it wasn't until the EJ trannys that the center became viscous. The lock made the system a true 4WD.

I'm still looking for some parts to try somthing similar myself.

RX transfer gear and center lock, which i have

4.44 or 4.11 final drive gears

1.52 Low Range

Front LSD

I'm mostly doing this for the crawl ratio, more than the on road performance, but any customization in either direction should help everyone out either way.

Sounds like fun, a FT with the lock off will still spin one tire. Lock on spins two tires.