Ultimate Subaru Message Board

with almost 193 thousand miles on it..as soon as i got it i took it on some dirt roads wayyy more fun than in a truck...however i have a few questions for u guys that have the 2.2 5-speed (my car is 96 impreza L 2.2 5-speed awd)

whenever i let the clutch out in reverse it makes an angry noise and shudders like a ***************...when i pull out in first i guess it could prolly be the same thing but i dont take notice as i accelerate right aways

Is this what everyone talks about torque bind? i misunderstood and thought torque bind was only on the automatics

Also when you guys are in the car can u hear the engine very distinctively?

i have a 93 1.8 and i can hear the engine a little but not like the ej22 the sound is loud and somewhat annoying like a scratching sound only when i tap on the gas otherwise is smoothes out to normal(its probably normal) but who knows i thought the sticky shifting in my 93 was normal untill i got this car...shifts like a dream and its got ALOT of miles

I should also add...i checked the oil and it was a little low, could be the problem? im changing the oil tomorrow so ill find out

i wanna start modding the car not so much that annoying teenager neon ************ (no offense to u guys with the loud fart pipes, im also only 18) but thinking about the struts and a little more solid suspension with a few skid plates over some of the vital parts...i was taking it on some trails tonight haha and think i might have bumped the oil pan...everythings good tho

any ideas on cheap "rally mods" im not gonna get serious like racing or anything...but watching the trail of smoke behind me is "sick with it" (pa term)

change the transmission and rear differential oil and adjust the clutch while you're at it. traditional torque bind won't show itself when driving straight. you may have differential issues (front or rear) but that's not torque bind. i'd check and change all the trans and diff fluids and see if there is anything in the old oil.

sucks the dude drove it with low tires but hopefully it's okay. might want to double check that all the tires match in size.

is the engine tapping or slapping? might want to look up tapping, ticking, slapping by doing a search here and see if any of those issues sound like yours. tapping would make sense with the low oil if you have oil pressure loss at the oil pump. not an immediate concern assuming it's not loosing tons of oil and you can put up with adding it/having a few spots on the ground.

its none of those noises...i suffer them with my 93, but with this its different...i dont know alot about fuel supply or any of the vacume lines but you dont normall hear the sound untill ur in 3rd gear or higher...and it changes pitch everytime u press the gas... its going to be too hard for me to explain the noise so u guys dont have to try and diagnose...just hoping maybe someone with there 2.2 hears the same noise

if it's gear related then it's likely transmission related.

if it's speed related then engine, trans, drive train.

RPM related then engine or drive train.

have you tried giving it throttle to high RPM's standing in front of the car with the hood open? or you already know it's only while moving?

yea i did that but when ur standing in front of the engine alls u hear is the engine ya kno? when driving its not as loud as it would be standing in front of the car...im gonna meet up with my friend today so would could weld my exhaust back together it pulled away after the cat...he knows alot about vehicles so its possibly he might know....but now that u mentioned it, it does sound similiar to gears...are there any good websites that would show u a diagram of the whole drivetrain of an awd subaru