Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake pedal pulsates?

I just put a 3in lift on a 83 Brat, with six lug 14in rims and 26in tires. I put new rotors and had the drums turned, with all new pads. I have not had it aligned yet, but it drives staight and the steering wheel does not shake. But when I apply the brakes the pedal pulsates and the steering wheel shakes from side to side. I'm sure it it something that I messed up, but I not sure what. Any Ideas? I also replaced the front bearings before I installed the lift.

i had a warped new rotor, right out of the box last year. same thing you're describing.

what i did was jack the front of the car up. i turned both wheels by hand. i could barely feel the passengers side catch at one point during the revolution of the wheel. it was very light. i was surprised how hard it was to tell considering how terrible it pulsated when braking. i guess at speed with the calipers clamped makes all the difference. anyway, i took about 5 times going back and forth between passenger and drivers side to convince myself that the little catch i was feeling while turning the wheel by hand was the bad rotor. took it back and they gave me a new one.

unfortunately i got these rotors at a store i don't normally go to and it was in the city. took some convincing as the guy swore i had driven on these or didn't install them properly. he gave me a new one though.

hmm.. I was getting the same shaking a while ago also.... got the rotors turned, did not replace the pads, and the shaking went away... for a while...

Now the shaking is back :mad: Is this something you have to do at the same time as you replace the pads? I figured if the pads were a bit off, the newly turned rotors should true them up.

They are brand new rotors, the reason I bought new was because it did the same thing with the old ones. I have a feeling that the wheels are not to the hub after I modified it to fit the the six lug rims.

they can be re-turned, but not machined

?

I hope you're just playing on words. A rotor can be machined until it reachs the minimum spec for thickness. The solution for a warped rotor is machining/turning on a brake lathe.