Ultimate Subaru Message Board

torque bind on 5-speeds?(im sure ur sick of it)

The viscous couplings that function as the center differential on manual transaxles are a lot more durable, but can also fail if abused badly enough, and it is not an inexpensive repair. If you search on viscous coupling, you should get some more specific info.

Torque bind is not just an automatic issue. It is less frequent with the manuals, but it does happen. The problem is when it happens on the manual, they is no tranny flush or failed duty c soleniod to repair. Its more common on the automatics only because it seems like not many people change the tranny fluid regularly (which happens on a lot of cars).

The biggest cause is miss matched tires or under infalted tires. Once it starts to rear its ugly head there is nothing that can be done (if the tires all match) aside from replacing the viscous coupling and/or the center differnetial. The viscous coupling is not servicable.

Out of all the torque bind threads here i can only recall less then 10 that had that issue.

nipper

i just wanted to see whats out there...when i got the car all of the tires were at 10 psi it was pathetic how low they were....i asked the guy if the tires leak just joking cuz there was no air...and hes goes (no, why do they look low) scared the ************ out of me b/c hes been driving it for probably the past 6 months like that...still got the "summer" air in them haha

I had a 5 speed center diff go on me once. What I found out was...I bought the tranny from a severely rearended turbo legacy and we believe that the drive shaft was smacked into the back of the tranny causing a chain reaction of bad things to happen back there. The end result when it finally broke... it jammed itself into 3rd gear and crunch it went. lucky for me i was 2 miles from home and was on the way to getting gas so that I could leave on a 400 mile trip :eek: