Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil at the bottom of timing belt cover

Guest lothar34

97svx posted this:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Also check for oil seepage along bottom of timing belt cover. If you see it, point it out and negotiate $$$. The repair is simple at the time of timing belt change.

in a different topic. I noticed some oil on the bottom of my timing belt cover when I changed the oil a couple weekends ago. Where does it come from? There were also some grooved rubber seals that weren't seated right. I got them back onto their channel, but I couldn't tell if the oil was coming from behind them or if it was splashing around under the plug (I reused the crush washer -- the car still gave up 4.5 of the 4.7 quarts though).

'98 Forester (DOHC 2.5L)

I'll try to remember to take a picture this weekend if somebody wants clarification and can help.

Guest Setright

Likely a camshaft or crankskaft seal. I recommend that you remove the belt cover and find out, and fix it soon. Oil weaken the timing belt and make it break before schedule.

Could be a valve cover seal, but there would also be oil along the bottom of the engine.

A reused crush washer on the oil pan might cause a drip, but no splashing.

If you are approaching the timing belt service interval, this would be the best time to replace it, along with the cam and crank seals, O-ring behind the oil pump, water pump, thermostat and radiator hoses.

Matt

Guest kvaleras

I had the same problem, oil on the bottom of the t-belt cover, oil pan, cross member. I used the help of people on this forum (Thanks, by the way). Removed t-belt cover and there was good old oil pump giving away oil. So after replacing o-ring, checking the screws on the back of the oil pump (were OK), applying new RTV seal on the back of the pump, and putting the rest back together (took 4 hours, some of it spent just looking at things), no problem so far. I made ~6000 miles, and no leaks.

Yep, my 95 2.2 LS had the same issue, but the water pump was shot at 115k so I did the whole "ball of wax". Sadly, I totalled it 3 days later in an encounter with a NY State DOT snow plow-you know who won.:mad:

Matt

Guest pat1234

I had the same thing happen to my 97 legacy gt in march this year. The leak came out from the bottom of the t-belt cover..... just a few drips here and there.

It was the oil pump o-ring that was leaking. Since I was due soon for the t-belt change I changed the o-ring, all cam seals (also prone to leaking some time on the 2.5) and the t-belt as they have to take it off anyways and its cheaper that do it all at once than to do the t-belt months down the road.

Cheers

Pat