Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty bummed out right now as I noticed the other day that my back windshield is pretty scratched up. :mad: I think it may have happened at the gas station when the windows were cleaned as there was a lot of dirt on the back window. The scratches don't appear to be too deep, but more noticable than a typical swirl mark and they stand right out when the sun hits them. Any ideas on how to get the scratches out without replacing the back windshield?

Urban Coyote

A general rule of thumb on polishing scratches out of glass is that if you can catch the scratch with a fingernail, it's too deep to buff out. Tempered glass is also much harder to buff out than annealed glass.

Thanks Subarian, but HOW do you go about getting the scratches out if they are not too deep? Are there products on the market for this sort of thing? I was looking last night and didn't find anything, but might not have been looking in the right places.

I've heard of using toothpaste and car wax....has anyone actually done eaither of these mothods?

Urban Coyote

Professionals use a compound called cerium oxide. It's an abrasive powder that's mixed with water and used on a felt buffing wheel. It's really important to keep it wet while you're working it.

I don't know where you can buy it commercially, but you could probably get your local glass shop to order it for you. If they say they don't know about it, have them check their CR Laurence catalog.