Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy GT, 2.5, 5 Speed

My speedo died on me on the way to work this morning. I had the cruise set and all the sudden the car stuttered, the speedo sorta flapped back and forth, then hit bottom and stayed. My cruise, speedo and odo no longer work...I can't be sure about the CEL cause it's been on and off for months, but it's on now. I plan on getting the code check this afternoon.

Is this enough info to determine which of the 2 VSSs died on me, or do I need to get the code checked to be sure? Is there anywhere to get a new one for cheaper than dealer price? It looks to be a pretty easy swap, but is it something I can do w/ basic tools? Do these pants make my butt look big?

Thanks

There are 2 types of VSS's the ones for ABS, those are on the corners of the car near the brakes.

The type that controls the spedo is in the tranny, I don't know how easy it is to get to, but i'd suggest that you make sure that your spedo cable is still attached, I don't know if your model has one, but it'll be cheaper than finding out later.

There are 2 types of VSS's the ones for ABS, those are on the corners of the car near the brakes.

The type that controls the spedo is in the tranny, I don't know how easy it is to get to, but i'd suggest that you make sure that your spedo cable is still attached, I don't know if your model has one, but it'll be cheaper than finding out later.

I thought they stopped using cables after '96...or do you mean electrical connection?

'98 Legacy GT, 2.5, 5 Speed

My speedo died on me on the way to work this morning. I had the cruise set and all the sudden the car stuttered, the speedo sorta flapped back and forth, then hit bottom and stayed. My cruise, speedo and odo no longer work...I can't be sure about the CEL cause it's been on and off for months, but it's on now. I plan on getting the code check this afternoon.

Is this enough info to determine which of the 2 VSSs died on me, or do I need to get the code checked to be sure? Is there anywhere to get a new one for cheaper than dealer price? It looks to be a pretty easy swap, but is it something I can do w/ basic tools? Do these pants make my butt look big?

Thanks

Might want to read through this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7590&highlight=speed+sensor

Tranny VSS looks like and it is located here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=313961&postcount=34

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=67309&postcount=10

If you decide to buy one, contact Jason at Auburn Subaru out of Washington (1stsubaruparts.com), mention this forum. 20% over cost on all parts.

Call 1st Subaru Parts Toll Free at: 866-528-5282

The sensors on the wheels are wheel speed sensors, not VSS sensors. The automatics have two VS Sensors (for the awd computer) one for the front axle speed, and one for the rear. The manual tranny has one, and thats the one you need.

nipper