Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Error code 35?

Hi All,

I have a 92 Subaru Loyale wagon, auto, 4WD and the "check engine" light has been on since I got it back.

I read the codes from the computer and it is an error code "35" which I think is the purge control valve.

What is this valve for?

Dose it affect MPG or preformance?

Where is it located?

How do I fix this?

T.J.

the purge solinoid is for purging the vapors from the charcoal canister (can up in right front of car) folow the lines off the canister to see where the solioid is. I think its on the manifold. depending on what failed you could have diferent problems. check connections and all that but it probably is shorted out.:-\

I checked the resistance on the "purge control valve" and "it's dead Jim." I even took it out and applied voltage directly to see if the solinoid would "click".... no luck.

So... how hard is it to get a new one? Is thjs a dealer only item?

Will it effect gas millage & performance?

T.J.

Do a search on the web for used subaru parts. Put in a couple of email parts requests and you should be able to find one. I found a tested used one for $20, but before I got around to ordering it , my hard drive took a dump. I'm not sure what place I got the quote from. The quotes I got on used ones ranged from $20-$45 if I remember correctly.

Also, check out these threads -

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3953

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4306&highlight=purge+solenoid

If you buy from the dealer, try using the part number Asavage gives in his post (Subaru Part #14774AA101). It costs almost half as much as the original listed part.:headbang:

I took a 1 hour drive out to a country junk yard that has a few wrecked, old Subarus... I was able to get a Purge Control Valve off a 93 Loyale for only $15! That sure beats the dealer cost of $102!

Now my 92 Loyale's check engine light is out and the engine also seems to run a little smoother as well. Hopefully this will imporve the gas millage to.

The best part was that the junk yards "lot car" was an old 90 Loyale wagon that was tearing through the huge mud puddles and thick mud like it was nothing!

I'm glas to see they can still take a beating after all these years!

:D

T.J.