Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am sending my heads out today to be machined and am calling around for head gaskets, there is a local import parts shop that i called and got a price on a head set. the guy i talked to seemed to be real informed about subarus and asked for the production date of my 96 outback which was 10/95 so it seems he knows what hes doing. i told him that i have been on line and have been told to use subaru head gaskets so i asked him what he thought if i should use them. he told me that he has rebuilt a few of these engines and knows there prone to blowing and he said that he has used the ones they sell an have used them in sand rails that were turbo'd and they hold up. he said that they are the same gaskets subaru uses and that they are produced by a company called "stone". there head set kit is 145 which isnt bad compared to other places i called, and subaru wants 45 dollars a side for head gaskets. he also told me that the head bolts are re-useable and are not torq to yeild. does any one know if there is any truth to what this guy has told me? my car is a 96 outback with a 2.5 dohc engine with 170K highway miles on it. any information, suggestions, or help with this matter would be awesome. i plan on selling the car after i get it back together. thanks.

-Rideordice:horse:

Subaru head bolts are reusable. We never replace them at the Subaru garage where I work. I guess you'll have to take your parts guy's word on the gaskets being the same as Subaru gaskets. You would have to physically compare them to know for sure. It would be nice to know who the OEMs were for overpriced Subaru parts. At least we know who makes the spark plugs (NGK)! I once installed a customer supplied aftermarket cam sensor in a Ford Taurus. The sensor was OEM with the Ford part number ground off!

What is in the head set for 145? When I do heads on a DOHC Subaru engine, I use all subaru OEM (1stsubaruparts) parts from an online store. Costs me 250 for both headgaskets, both valve cover gaskets, all 12 valve cover gasket grommets, timing belt, Metal Oil seperator, Spark plug O-rings, 4 Cam seals, Front oil seal, O-ring for the oil pump, both intake manifold gaskets, and both exaust gaskets. Shipped from WA to CA. I reuse the headbolts, as they are torqued to just short of yield, and are intended to be reused.

I just used the overhaul gasket fit from first subaru as well and it worked out great. No chasing for the right gasket and no leaks.

I wouldn't cut corners on the parts- it's the labor or your time that will get you in the end.