Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best gas to use with a 2002 Forester?

Hi!

Anybody have any preferred gas type/station they use with their Forester for the best mileage?

I have a 2002 Forester L. Curious to know- I'm about to go on a long road trip and want to be efficient!!

Diamond Shamrock had a coprorate philosophy that they would only retail the better gasoline if there was more than one terminal to buy from. I dunno now that they are Valero. Most name brands and most high volume places are likely gonna be OK if you stay with your octane rating and try to avoid ethanol. Do double check your tire pressures and maybe boost them 5-10% especially if you are loading with gear.

Carl

On thing to realize is that all gasoline is transported through pipelines not owned by any of the oil companies, but rather they each rent time on the pipeline. They each feed gasoline into the lines, and it has to meet federal specifications for each octane rating. You have to understand tho - the company pays to put a specific quanitity into the line, but they take exactly that same amount out the other end immediately.... so it's not the same gas they specifically produced. It could have been made by any of the refineries accross the country. It's only tracked by octane rating, and nothing more.

So brand makes zero difference... unless they are putting water in it or something silly at the station. That would be considered illegal tho.

Don't get me started about octane - suffice to say it's measured differently here in the states than it is abroad. 87 will do you just fine.

GD

On thing to realize is that all gasoline is transported through pipelines not owned by any of the oil companies, but rather they each rent time on the pipeline. They each feed gasoline into the lines, and it has to meet federal specifications for each octane rating. You have to understand tho - the company pays to put a specific quanitity into the line, but they take exactly that same amount out the other end immediately.... so it's not the same gas they specifically produced. It could have been made by any of the refineries accross the country. It's only tracked by octane rating, and nothing more.

So brand makes zero difference... unless they are putting water in it or something silly at the station. That would be considered illegal tho.

Don't get me started about octane - suffice to say it's measured differently here in the states than it is abroad. 87 will do you just fine.

GD

BP own their own refineries, and uses only BP gas. Thats one of the reasons they were slow to raise fuel prices, as their refineries were far from the hurricanes, but eventually they got caught up in the supply hiccup too. Amaco gas is made by Amaco, and exxon is the largest refiner in the US. Exxon supplies a lot of other gas companies.

on a side note in one day the exxon station went up 23 cents a gallon today. Thats just freaking nuts, needless to say i try to go to BP when i can. Gulf around here has the lowest price so i dont know where they get it from, but the car runs fine on it. When i went to a shamrock station once the car drank the fuel, so ill never go there again.

nipper

GD

All of that is totally true, but thats not the entire story. Each company DOES use the same gas as everyone else, however when it is extracted from the pipelines each company has their own set of additives that is mixed in with the gasonline at the time the tanks/trucks are filled, and it is those additives that make the differance in gasoline between differant companies.

for instance, most Arco stations add 10% Ethanol to the gasoline. And since BP gets it's gas (british petroleoum, and they do own Arco) gets its gas from the south china sea, it has more of a dilluted water content to it, so they oxygenate it with ethanol to give it a higher octane rating. (ethanol runs about 114 octane pure.)

I reccomend a top tier company. Conoco, 76, Chevron, Texaco *owned by chevron* and be it one that has alot of traffic.

87 is just fine for your car.