Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compass problem- anybody had this?

So my compass suddenly has given out and no longer is accurate. The only two direction it will display is NW and NE, no matter which way I'm headed.

Does anybody know what might have caused this and if it's an easy fix I could do?

Have you tried disconnecting it from the power source (there is a plug on the back of the mirror) for about 30 seconds and then plugging it back in again?

There is also a reset procedure that should be detailed in your owners manual--I just don't remember it off the top of my head.

mikkl

We have been seeing this more and more after replacing windshields. We obviously remove the rear view mirror for the replacement and when we reinstall and plug the power back in, we have customers coming back with this problem. Mikkl is right about going to your owners manual. There are instructions to do it. There are usually 2 different options, one of them is to press a certain button to put it into the calibration mode and then drive in a circle 3 times. Yes, sounds weird, but read your manual and that is what it will probably say. The other typical option just allows you to set to the calibrate mode and then just drive for a period of time. My 04 4Runner has settings for where you live in the country/world. It then auto calibrates.