Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swaping tps's

subyrally

has anyone found a way around the differences in the three and four wire tps's?

i have an 86 rx, as many already know. and i want to get a larger throttle body on the car, i have the xt6 throttle body to mount up to my spyder manifold, but its got the four wire tps and my car only has a three wire tps in it.

is there anyway to either get the three wire to work with the xt6 tb or is there a away to translate the signal or moddify the sensor to work with the cars existing harness and ecu?

From what Tex has told me, since we're both running basically the same setup, is that the 4-wire TPS should be ok. Granted, I have yet to pull any codes from my RX but it seems to run ok with the 4-wire TPS. He did point out a good observation though. There is a major difference between the 3-wire and the 4-wire. One rotates clockwise where the other rotates counter clockwise. I dunno which is which but that is the main difference I have seen physically between the two. The other thing, the 4-wire TPS has that 4th wire for a idle control that the XTs came with and the regular EA82s did not. I'm going to be figuring this problem out next weekend and can bring you back some knowledge of my discoveries.

do you have any wiring diagrams on the engine harness or at least the tps? if i could at least get the xt or xt6 diagram, ill be able to figure out something.

sofar, i still hve the stock intake manifold in the car, but i will be setting up my spyder once i get an adaptor made for the new throttle body. sadly enough, i currently have both sensors in my bedroom

From what Tex has told me, since we're both running basically the same setup, is that the 4-wire TPS should be ok. Granted, I have yet to pull any codes from my RX but it seems to run ok with the 4-wire TPS. He did point out a good observation though. There is a major difference between the 3-wire and the 4-wire. One rotates clockwise where the other rotates counter clockwise. I dunno which is which but that is the main difference I have seen physically between the two. The other thing, the 4-wire TPS has that 4th wire for a idle control that the XTs came with and the regular EA82s did not. I'm going to be figuring this problem out next weekend and can bring you back some knowledge of my discoveries.

do you have any wiring diagrams on the engine harness or at least the tps? if i could at least get the xt or xt6 diagram, ill be able to figure out something.

sofar, i still hve the stock intake manifold in the car, but i will be setting up my spyder once i get an adaptor made for the new throttle body. sadly enough, i currently have both sensors in my bedroom

I hear ya on that one. I too have both sensors in my room chillin next to the spare upper intake portion I have for a spyder. Anyways, I don't have a scanned copy of the wiring diagram for the spyder but I do have the FSM, part 6, which shows it. kingbobdole and blownbimer are gonna be coming up next weekend to help me figure this out so hopefully, I can help you out as well:D

i love you like a brother man. keep me updated on what you can find, and if you can get a scan of the two harnesses, id be stoked, the wiring section is the only one i dont have in my fsm set for the rx.

I hear ya on that one. I too have both sensors in my room chillin next to the spare upper intake portion I have for a spyder. Anyways, I don't have a scanned copy of the wiring diagram for the spyder but I do have the FSM, part 6, which shows it. kingbobdole and blownbimer are gonna be coming up next weekend to help me figure this out so hopefully, I can help you out as well:D